cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best strategies for raising score above 700?

tag
floweryu
New Contributor

Re: Best strategies for raising score above 700?

Yes, they are paid. Capital one in full and Citi settled for 25% of the original balance. DOFD is in 2019

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

From a score growth perspective, its better to get two more cards than increase your limit. Cap One will take you back as long as your charge off happened more than 12 months ago.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if the prequal doesn't give you anything APPLY ANYWAY. The prequal is by no means a definite no.

Message 13 of 21
BuckiRob
Established Member

Maybe Im missing something here....  but, other than for purposes of a home purchase or a great rate on an auto loan.... why do you want cards to begin with if you are trying to recover from damaged credit?

20 years ago you HAD to have them since debit cards didnt really exist and they certainly didnt act like they do today.

My goal is to get out of debt and STAY out of debt.  I have a nice home and frankly if you are paying on time with your home your not going to have a problem getting a good rate for an auto loan.

Outside of that?  Why on earth would I need a credit card?  Id far rather save taht 1200-1500 per month and build up a nice nest egg for emergencies ect... at that point a CC is meaningless AND you learn to live within your means.

@RobertEG wrote:

It is statedthat you have charged-off cards from Cap 1 and CITI.

I would continue to pursue GW deletions....

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buck - being debt free and credit free aren't the same things.

I pay my cards off every month - usually before the statement date.

As Norman said one upon a time - in another post - your credit is like your reputation.   You need to show you can use it responsibly for when you do need it (auto/mortgage).

FICO loves to score off 3 cards - find 3 that will work for you now - and maybe in the future.   You can always close stuff later or combine cards to keep the minimal three in your wallet.

I use mine to pay things I would anyway.   AMEX and Discover for daily expenses - CAP ONE for the utilities that won't take AMEX or Discover.   The Chase card was just a whim to see if they would let me back in - but I use it when I have my own temp holds on my cards (paid off and don't want to use until statement cuts).   I gain the cash back - which is always nice - last month I was able to use my reward to pay the min payment (about $20) that I let report on my Discover card - it was like a free tank of gas.  

Once upon a time I was over $100K in consumer debt (credit cards and auto loan) and had a 840 credit score.   I even had a $25K unsecured line of credit at Wells Fargo.   I learned the hard way and paid/settled debts)   It took me years - and I mean years to get out of that mess - and only now am I really getting back where I want to be.   I don't want to go back - I just want to buy a house - get a good rate - and quit throwing money away on rent.  

Having credit is a means to a way - debt is a whole another story!

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Buck - being debt free and credit free aren't the same things.

I pay my cards off every month - usually before the statement date.

As Norman said one upon a time - in another post - your credit is like your reputation.   You need to show you can use it responsibly for when you do need it (auto/mortgage).

FICO loves to score off 3 cards - find 3 that will work for you now - and maybe in the future.   You can always close stuff later or combine cards to keep the minimal three in your wallet.

I use mine to pay things I would anyway.   AMEX and Discover for daily expenses - CAP ONE for the utilities that won't take AMEX or Discover.   The Chase card was just a whim to see if they would let me back in - but I use it when I have my own temp holds on my cards (paid off and don't want to use until statement cuts).   I gain the cash back - which is always nice - last month I was able to use my reward to pay the min payment (about $20) that I let report on my Discover card - it was like a free tank of gas.  

Once upon a time I was over $100K in consumer debt (credit cards and auto loan) and had a 840 credit score.   I even had a $25K unsecured line of credit at Wells Fargo.   I learned the hard way and paid/settled debts)   It took me years - and I mean years to get out of that mess - and only now am I really getting back where I want to be.   I don't want to go back - I just want to buy a house - get a good rate - and quit throwing money away on rent.  

Having credit is a means to a way - debt is a whole another story!

Or, to put it another way, having credit cards and being debt free are not mutually exclusive conditions.

Message 16 of 21
floweryu
New Contributor

I travel a lot: you need a credit card to check into a hotel and rent a car. Paying for a plane ticket and using a good credit card gives you some protection. You can earn a lot of points and upgrades for hotels with some credit cards. But the most important issue is that if your debit card is compromised, your checking account is at stake, you will most likely face overdraft fees etc. With credit card, you don't care about that. my total charge-off amount was around $5K and that happened because I lost my job. Before and after that I paid everything in full and had 0 late payments.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Floweryu brings up a very goid point here about debit vs credit cards - credit cards actually have a lot of protection against unauthorized charges that debit cards do not have.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

will you please give a quick review on how you were able to raise your score in the high 600's in just a few months? thanks in advance and congrats

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Floweryu brings up a very goid point here about debit vs credit cards - credit cards actually have a lot of protection against unauthorized charges that debit cards do not have.

+1 ... if your debit card is compromised, that money is just gone from your bank account... and good luck trying to get it back from the bank. I had to really push my hubby to start using a credit card (he's rebuilding right now, and credit-shy... but is an AU on my Discover) at self-serve gas pumps, which, as an example, is a very vulnerable location to having your debit number stolen.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.