Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to approach removing late pays

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to approach removing late pays

Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the great information. I am just getting started on this credit improvement journey. My goal is to apply for a mortgage in 6 mos. 

I have decent credit history length. But in the last 2 years I have had some late payments. The worse being a $12,000 credit union loan. I had payroll deduction, didn't miss a payment for about 2 years and then last November I dropped by payroll deduct, then switched jobs and let it get 90-120 days late for about 5 months. It's now current. And my goal is to aggressively pay it off within 6 months. I emailed my loan officer and asked if the bank may consider removing those lates if I have it paid off within 6 months. Did I show my hand too quickly? Should I write a letter with a detailed account of why I let it go? 

I also have a small credit card, $500 limit with Capital One. I have some 120 day lates in the past 2 years with them also. I just brought the balance down to $150. Any advice or suggestions on how to negotiate those away? Am I asking too much?

My middle FICO 8 score is 575. My mortgage scores are 513 and 538. I'm hoping bringing that loan up to date and paying down my credit card will give me a good jump. 

Thanks again! Sorry for not using any abbreviates. There are so many!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to approach removing late pays

I would definitely do some searching on here for goodwill adjustment threads; you should get some good ideas on how to tackle this issue from those.  In a nutshell, yes you want to start writing some letters basically stating what happened, why you messed up and how you won't let it happen again and would appreciate a goodwill adjustment to the account.  It usually takes persistence and results are mixed with this, but it's always worth a try.

Message 2 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

I am going to request that your thread OP be moved to the rebuilding forums.  There are a lot of  knowledgeable people who can steer you in the right direction.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd agree with the earlier poster who suggested writing letters asking for a goodwill removal of the lates reporting on the loan, but keep in mind while negotiating that if you shorten the term of the original loan, you aren't helping the bank - you're actually hurting them in the only place they really care about, their own pockets, because you are shortening the term and thereby lowering the amount of interest you will pay them overall.  Does it make good sense from the comsumer (your) side to pay it off ahead of time and eliminate interest where possible?  Absolutely.  Does it entice them to do something they are hesitating to do?  Not really.

Pay for delete is a tactic that seems to work sometimes when people are dealing with closed/charged-off debts that the original creditor (or current collection agency) doesn't expect to ever be paid.  In these cases, offering them a payment on at least part of that debt in exchange for their deleting their reporting of it interests them, again because they didn't expect ever to collect anything on it.  With open accounts, for which they are still going to receive the regular expected payments and the account activity (in the case of a credit card,which generates fees paid to them by the merchants), it is a less interesting proposition to them.  They are not supposed to report falsely, after all, and they cannot simply delete the entire tradeline because the account is still open and active.

If you have some extra cash on hand, you might want to see about opening a secured credit card to help with your file and with your overall utilization (if you open a $500 secured card, for example, and then don't use it your utilization will be $150 out of $1000, or 15%, rather than $150 out of $500, which is 30%).

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a good point. Thank you for your information!!

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd agree with the earlier poster who suggested writing letters asking for a goodwill removal of the lates reporting on the loan, but keep in mind while negotiating that if you shorten the term of the original loan, you aren't helping the bank - you're actually hurting them in the only place they really care about, their own pockets, because you are shortening the term and thereby lowering the amount of interest you will pay them overall.  Does it make good sense from the comsumer (your) side to pay it off ahead of time and eliminate interest where possible?  Absolutely.  Does it entice them to do something they are hesitating to do?  Not really.

Pay for delete is a tactic that seems to work sometimes when people are dealing with closed/charged-off debts that the original creditor (or current collection agency) doesn't expect to ever be paid.  In these cases, offering them a payment on at least part of that debt in exchange for their deleting their reporting of it interests them, again because they didn't expect ever to collect anything on it.  With open accounts, for which they are still going to receive the regular expected payments and the account activity (in the case of a credit card,which generates fees paid to them by the merchants), it is a less interesting proposition to them.  They are not supposed to report falsely, after all, and they cannot simply delete the entire tradeline because the account is still open and active.

If you have some extra cash on hand, you might want to see about opening a secured credit card to help with your file and with your overall utilization (if you open a $500 secured card, for example, and then don't use it your utilization will be $150 out of $1000, or 15%, rather than $150 out of $500, which is 30%).

That's a good point!! Thanks for the information. I will try letters and maybe just focus on making regular payments so they take me seriously not by my words, but my actions. 

Message 5 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Welcome, and going the route of the GW is a good decision. It may take several attempts if it works. Writing it is more personal and you can explain what happened, but remember you want their help. So don't write it in a disputing nature. Best of luck on the outcome!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I heard back from my credit union and she said we could work something out. She said they can't remove the whole history, but something can be done! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.