Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to build credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to build credit

I'm starting to rebuild my credit slowly with a secured credit card. When it comes to paying it off what's a better way to build the credit. Is it better to buy a tank of gas with it then pay the balance off in full once the statement comes in or is it better to buy a tank of gas and just pay the monthly payments until its at a balance of 0 and then repeat?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Best way to build credit

FICO does not like to see all CC reporting a 0 balance.  Use it but let only 9% or below report on your CR.  You will need to know when they update with the CRAs and may need to experiment on getting it paid before it does.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I go about finding out when they report the CRAs
Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Call and ask or look at your CR and see when they reported.  It will tell you on the TL.

Message 4 of 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

Can I tag in here and ask a quick question? Is there certain time periods of gardening that you will see bumps? For example an inquiry loses some effect at the one year mark.. Thanks for the help, sorry to hijack but I felt it was a good question

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That would depend, like everything else. on what else is on your CR.

I had 7 fall off and never saw any increase.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.