cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to handle this? Jefferson Capital Systems collection.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to handle this? Jefferson Capital Systems collection.

I have a derogatory remark on both of my credit reports from "Jefferson Capital Systems". It's for an old bill from Verizon. They are claiming I owe around $1100. In reality, when I stopped paying Verizon, it was more like $300.... then they added "this fee' and "that fee" and interest and all this other garbage. I know what they want me to do, is just cut them a check for $1100 and send it to them, but I hear that there is a better way, such as getting them to settle out for a smaller amount. I'd have no problem paying like $400 or so, so that this will go away.

What would be the best way to get the ball rolling? I Googled it and I see some people have sent in some variations of form letters, however, I do NOT have an account number for Jefferson Capital because I irresponsibly threw the letters that they sent me (over a year ago) in the trash. Do I just call them to get the account number? Or will that "stir up the bee's nest"?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best way to handle this? Jefferson Capital Systems collection.

Having previously decided to trash their collection notices, the period for sending a timely debt validation request under the FDCPA has likely passed.

However, the current trend in debt validation requirments is slowing shifting from the arcane federal DV process under the FDCPA to enhanced DV requirments enacted by certain states.  If you happen to reside in one of those states, you may have enhanced DV procedures that do not have timeliness requriments, require documenatation, or credit report deletion requiremnts for lack of validation within set periods.

What is your state of residence?

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you call them telling them you want to talk settlement, they'll quickly locate your file.

Ask them the pertinent questions to get what you need - what is your "file number" with them?  What was the original Verizon account number?

Then get off the phone, if you want to do your negotiating in letter form.  If you're concerned about them starting a new storm of collection activity, if they ask you to update your information, tell them they have your address and you aren't interested in providing anything else.  If they ask for a "good call back number" tell them you don't have one, and they do not have permission to call you.

You can negotiate on the phone too - just tell them you won't be releasing any payment whatsoever until you've received a confirmation letter/fax/email outlining the agreed terms.  If they can't do that, then get off the phone at that point and start letter writing.

Any CA, especially holding a file that for all intents and purposes appears "dead," will be very helpful to anyone wanting to give them money.

They may resist your initial offer, but until you say "I agree" or something similar, you haven't committed to anything.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you call them telling them you want to talk settlement, they'll quickly locate your file.

Ask them the pertinent questions to get what you need - what is your "file number" with them?  What was the original Verizon account number?

Then get off the phone, if you want to do your negotiating in letter form.  If you're concerned about them starting a new storm of collection activity, if they ask you to update your information, tell them they have your address and you aren't interested in providing anything else.  If they ask for a "good call back number" tell them you don't have one, and they do not have permission to call you.

You can negotiate on the phone too - just tell them you won't be releasing any payment whatsoever until you've received a confirmation letter/fax/email outlining the agreed terms.  If they can't do that, then get off the phone at that point and start letter writing.

Any CA, especially holding a file that for all intents and purposes appears "dead," will be very helpful to anyone wanting to give them money.

They may resist your initial offer, but until you say "I agree" or something similar, you haven't committed to anything.

This must be sent to them in writing to have enforceability.

Message 4 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Right, go ahead with negotiating but make sure you get something to them in writing to cover your end.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for the responses. I am from Michigan, BTW. I will post back with what happens.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've read on here that they're open to PFD. I mailed them a PFD letter to which they responded that they would just delete. They did, and i didn't pay a dime on a nearly $2k debt. I talked about it here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Jefferson-Capital-deleted-But-then-sent-dunni...
Message 7 of 20
saywhaat04
Established Member

They just napped me too!

Damn it! I've been trying to rebuild my credit for about two years...finally got all three of my scores in the 700s (716 Ex, 737 Eq and 738 TU) starting to look at buying a house. I have paid EVERYTHING on time Since Jan of 2014, lots of old 'baddie" stuff has come off and Tuesday I get a credit alert that JCS has added an old VZW collection account onto my report. It hit Experian first, and CreditSesame alerted me that it has hit my TU report now. Apparently its a bill from Verizon, worth about $380.00 and I could pay it today if I had to but I want the whole collection removed. I'm not willing to pay the collection and restart the 7 year period all over again (it went into default in April 2013) So I'm reading all these reports on this site about how best to deal with them. I have never had anything collection wise on my reports (at least not in the last two or three years) most of my stuff was late payments (which I need help fixing as well) but even with all of those things my scores finally got into the 700s pretty easily because I've paid EVERYTHING on time. I've rebuilt my credit thru credit cards (I have five) and $10000 worth of available credit. I also got a new car in 2014 and have paid more than the minimum payment always on time. I also keep my total balances on the cards below 15 percent when they report. I travel for work, so I'm going to assume that JCS mailed any notifications to my old address. I wonder if I should first try and validate the debt or just send out a PFD? It seems lots of folks have had luck getting JCS to remove stuff, sometimes without pay. I just want to be sure that I don't somehow stupidly reopen the 7 year period on debt that's now over 3 years old. I don't want to call them...I fear I'll say something wrong, but I do want to dispute it, pay it off or whatever. I just want it gone! I have been working with lenders to try and buy a home and now I'm pretty sure that this new "negative" which dropped my scores in the 680s range, is gonna hurt my chances of buying a home 

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do not reopen the 7 year 180 day exclusion period. It starts on DOFD that led to the chargeoff.
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bang my head off the keyboard!!! I had the whole detailed story typed out and poof!!! The page disappered!!! Bug in the forums?

So.... I'll give the cliff notes version. Jefferson must have sold my debt and reffered me to NRC. Called NRC. NRC uncooperative and wanted my debit card number. LOL.... yeah right.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.