Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to improve Fico score???????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to improve Fico score???????

So I have been rebuilding my credit for the last few years since about 2010.  I made the usual stupid mistakes when I was in college.  I have always thought that my credit was pretty decent.  I usually would use websites like freecreditreport.com and creditkarma.com.  After finding myFico over the last few weeks I feel way more informed then all the stuff that I have learned all my life about earning and maintaining credit.  

Currently my scores through myFico are EX-666, EQ-655, and TU-686 as of 11/12/14.

I recently had about $30,000 in debt that has been paid down to just over $9,000 in the course of a few months.  After doing a Fico estimator I see that if I pay off my balances over time that I will ultimately increase my score.  But now that I have eliminated almost all my debt I don't want to incur more just to raise my score.  The cards that I currently have are:

NFCU cashRewards-$20k $0 bal

BofA MC-$5k  BT of $2,645 (0% till May 2016 yes May 2016)

Cap1 Platinum-$4,250 $0 bal

Cap1 QS-$1,250 $446 bal

USAA MC-$1500 $481 bal (4% till Aug 2015)

CreditOne-$1075 $0 bal

NFCU LOC $2,623

NFCU Sig Loan $2,843

I have already set myself up to pay of the signature loan at the end of the month.  But I am wondering if i should pay a little on each and carry a balance for a little while.  I am kinda confused because I always see people saying pay everything in full at the end of the month. I just don't know which route is the best for me.  I really wish my available balance on my BofA was higher so that I could transfer more to it.  But with everything right now I have about an 11% UTL average.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Focused10
Established Contributor

Re: Best way to improve Fico score???????

I've heard that revolving credit is the quickest way to improve your scores. And also to have a diverse credit portfolio. Do you have a car loan? Yes, I would continue paying down your card debt while letting some report each month. 

;;;
BCE: $2K | Amazon: $5K | BBVAmex: $7.5K | AAdvntge: $8.5K | AMEX: $30K | Frdm: $10K | Citi: $6.2K | FNB: $10K | NASA: $25K | CapOne QS: $10K | Chase Marriott: $12K ~ Garden 3.2.16
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I do not have a car loan but I do have a mortgage that is a little over two years old.  I am wanting to get another car around August of next year.  So basically trying what I can to get my score as high as possible before then.  I have two CO that fall off in May and August of next year and two collections that I am trying to get removed now.  I paid them when I got my mortgage without knowing about the PFD.

Message 3 of 6
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have been rebuilding my credit for the last few years since about 2010.  I made the usual stupid mistakes when I was in college.  I have always thought that my credit was pretty decent.  I usually would use websites like freecreditreport.com and creditkarma.com.  After finding myFico over the last few weeks I feel way more informed then all the stuff that I have learned all my life about earning and maintaining credit.  

Currently my scores through myFico are EX-666, EQ-655, and TU-686 as of 11/12/14.

I recently had about $30,000 in debt that has been paid down to just over $9,000 in the course of a few months.  After doing a Fico estimator I see that if I pay off my balances over time that I will ultimately increase my score.  But now that I have eliminated almost all my debt I don't want to incur more just to raise my score.  The cards that I currently have are:

Cap1 QS-$1,250 $446 bal

CreditOne-$1075 $0 bal

NFCU LOC $2,623

NFCU Sig Loan $2,843

I have already set myself up to pay of the signature loan at the end of the month.  But I am wondering if i should pay a little on each and carry a balance for a little while.  I am kinda confused because I always see people saying pay everything in full at the end of the month. I just don't know which route is the best for me.  I really wish my available balance on my BofA was higher so that I could transfer more to it.  But with everything right now I have about an 11% UTL average.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Actually looking at the portfolio you've put tegether it looks great. The only suggestion I would submit is consider eliminating the CreditOne acct and replace it with a 0% BT CC line and transfer the LOC balance make sure its a card that would fit into your financial lifestyle. Then garden and watch your score go up Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap1 QS-$1,250 $446 bal

CreditOne-$1075 $0 bal

NFCU LOC $2,623

NFCU Sig Loan $2,843

Welcome to the fourms. Specfically for scoring purposes, I would try and get the cards to have as low UTIL across the board as possible, but evenly. In other words, I would rather have 4 cards at 10% than three at zero and one at 40%.

However, financially I would transfer the highest interest rate cards to your 0% card and not worry about your score at the moment. UTIL has no memory, so once it's paid off your score will be fine.

Also, getting rid of the negatives that you reference is going to be a huge boost as well. Payment history and UTIL make up a majority of your score.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I wouldn't worry about adding a loan specifically for your score, your mortgage will count towards the 'mix of credit'.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I would really like to cancel the CreditOne card but its my longest card right now.  I am just trying to hold out till my other cards hit a 2 yr mark or close to it then that one is headed into the shredder.  What would be a good card to look into getting with the scores I have right now that I should look into getting for the balance transfer.  I thought about transferring to the Cap1 Platinum just waiting to see if I get approved for the SCRA APR of 4%.  If that happens should I try and PC it to the QS and BT the LOC and try and get rewards off of it.  Does any know if you are allowed to get points from BTs?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.