cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to remove a collection?

tag
jpb

Best way to remove a collection?

I am a new poster on this sight, so if something is posted incorrectly I apologize.  I have four collection accounts showing on my reports that I am trying to remove as quickly as possible in order to start applying for a mortgage:

$175 for a pediatrician, assigned 10/13

$273 for a dentist, assigned 10/10, currently with IC System

$838 with Capital One, assigned 11/13, currently with Portfolio Recovery

$1,040 with HSBC, assigned 11/11, currently with Portfolio Recovery.

I do currently have 3 accounts with Capital One right now, a secured MC opened 6/12, an auto loan opened 11/14, and a Quicksilver card opened 6/15.  I would be able to do a PFD with at least 3 of these accounts right now, could probably do the 4th in a few months.  

My question is, should I be contacting the original creditors to try and negotiate the PFD?  And regardless of who I start with, what's the best way to start the process?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to remove a collection?

If you can - contact the original creditor and offer to pay if they recall from collection agency...(or pay for delete if they still hold the debt).   If they recall from the CA - then the CA has to delete because they no longer have collection authority.

Always try to PFD if you can - some places are really hard to get it tho

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jpb wrote:

I am a new poster on this sight, so if something is posted incorrectly I apologize.  I have four collection accounts showing on my reports that I am trying to remove as quickly as possible in order to start applying for a mortgage:

$175 for a pediatrician, assigned 10/13

$273 for a dentist, assigned 10/10, currently with IC System

$838 with Capital One, assigned 11/13, currently with Portfolio Recovery

$1,040 with HSBC, assigned 11/11, currently with Portfolio Recovery.

I do currently have 3 accounts with Capital One right now, a secured MC opened 6/12, an auto loan opened 11/14, and a Quicksilver card opened 6/15.  I would be able to do a PFD with at least 3 of these accounts right now, could probably do the 4th in a few months.  

My question is, should I be contacting the original creditors to try and negotiate the PFD?  And regardless of who I start with, what's the best way to start the process?

Thanks!

Look on your raw reports from annualcreditreport.com and see who is updating frequently (just looked at the "reported" date), that will be whats pulling your scores down the most.

Message 3 of 4
tdglass1

I can 2nd this. I have had success with calling the collection ageny and telling them I will pay the full amount if you take it off my report. REMEMBER if they agree tell them you must have some documentation, like a letter saying they agreed to this. BECAUSE when I did it, they didnt take it off!!! I had to report them to the BBB, and luckily I made them mail me that documentation before I paid. I started a disupute on the BBB website against the collections agency, and they took it off immediately. Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.