Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to resolve this Collections issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to resolve this Collections issue

I just checked my TU report and its showing a collections from a tollway that was sent to NCO Financial. I called NCO, intending to attempt a pfd, the person said that I can't resolve it with them because it was sent back to the orginial creditor (Tollway) and to contact them. I called a second time just to see if they would delete it from being reported because the debt is not with them and was told by the cs rep that he  could not find anything under my name with them. Question, before I pay/contact the Tollway should I dispute it with TU?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best way to resolve this Collections issue

Exactly who is reporting? Tollway or NCO? If Tollway is an OC and they are reporting (and NCO is not) then mail a PFD to Tollway and ignore the CA. Never call in a PFD because people forget what they promised. If NCO is reporting and Tollway is not (or they are reporting $0), then ignore them for now and mail a DV to the CA. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD.

Don't dispute. If what they say is true, then it will fall off very soon. If untrue, then they'll respond to the DV.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tollway is the OC, " The collection agency "Ncofin/980" was hired to collect a debt of $141 originally owed to "04 Illinois State Toll Hwy Author" on account number "XXXXXXXX" is what reads on my myfico TU credit report and has a date assigned of feb 7th 2011. So I will do a PFD to the Tollway Authority then? Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like the CA is reporting. I'd mail the CA a DV. If they verify and you agree with it, then mail them a PFD. Once they accept your offer in writing, then mail a money order or certified check and they'll delete as promised. If NCO (the CA) writes back that they cannot verify and they'll delete (very likely could happen), then right away call the OC and pay them over the phone.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mailed the CA a basic DV letter here is the response I recieved today.

"Thank you for your recent communication. I can assure you that we are committed to assisting you, however, we have been unable to locate the matter you have referenced from the information we hav been provided. Please provide us with further identifying information such as you social security number, a copy of your recent credit bureau reoirt reflecting NCO's listing and the billing address of the account. A copy of any correspondence you may have received from us would also be of assistance..."

Do you have a suggestion for a next step? Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Dispute it.  That's my advice at least.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd resend the DV. That's a canned, overused response by NCO. You'll find other examples of it on here too. I'd resnd, mention that the first was sent, and I would include identifying info like your name, address. and prior address at the time of this debt, and NCO's account number if you have it. I would not send your SSN, or mention the OC, or the balance, etc.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see a collection record in July Experian report, from NCO FINANCIAL SYSTEMS, IL for creditor: ILLINOIS STATE TOLL HWY AUTHOR for account number:xyz and address identification number:xyz - but these guys have never called me or asked me to send anything to them and I remember paying the tolls again online. What did you do?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid the collections and complained to Experian that there was no correspondence. Shame, a dollar toll that I have paid later has gone to collections after an year with 60 points lost on an excellent credit history.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

I'd resend the DV. That's a canned, overused response by NCO. You'll find other examples of it on here too. I'd resnd, mention that the first was sent, and I would include identifying info like your name, address. and prior address at the time of this debt, and NCO's account number if you have it. I would not send your SSN, or mention the OC, or the balance, etc.

Ok, but why not include SSN or OC? I gave them both to NCO when I called NCO  a month ago attempting to do a PFD over the phone. For the record the first agent was able to find the debt but said I cannot clear it up with NCO because it has been sent back to the OC. Called NCO 5 minutes later hoping to talk to someone else that person was unable to find any record of me in their system. 

One more strange thing. This collection shows on a TU credit report bought from MyFico on July 8th yet doesnt show up on previous reports bought in March and May though those were bought with the Suze Orman Fico Kit. The collection has a date assigned of Feb 7th 2011.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.