Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to tackle collections please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to tackle collections please!

Experian:   Shows 4 paid medical collections, 2 open.  (The two open ARE paid but they are not stating as such, so I do not know what to do about it.)

Equifax:   Shows 2 paid medical collections, 1 open.  (The one open IS paid but they not stating as such, again, I do not know what to do about it.)

*********************************************************************************************************

I want ALL of these deleted.  Please give me ACCURATE steps to take in tackling these.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to tackle collections please!

Were the debts paid to the original providers or the CA?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA a few years ago.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggestion would be to GW them off. Call the CA, explain the situation and ask that since paid would they please remove the tradelines from reporting. If you have the CA phone this may be your best bet, ask for a supervisor. The only other option i see would be to dispute the open ones but all they would have to do is update to paid, not delete. These are already paid so HIPAA wouldn't work. I would be professional and very persistent and call the CA to get these deleted. Medical bills are usually much easier for this once paid. Good luck.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My suggestion would be to GW them off. Call the CA, explain the situation and ask that since paid would they please remove the tradelines from reporting. If you have the CA phone this may be your best bet, ask for a supervisor. The only other option i see would be to dispute the open ones but all they would have to do is update to paid, not delete. These are already paid so HIPAA wouldn't work. I would be professional and very persistent and call the CA to get these deleted. Medical bills are usually much easier for this once paid. Good luck.

I sent disputes for the ones reporting unpaid to EQ & EX and in a week EX says they remain.  I don't even believe they checked to verify. 

Just a question, but if I call the CA doesn't that ruin any chance of my GWing these off?  What if they say the ones reporting unpaid are indeed unpaid?  I know that they ARE though.  I shouldn't have to pay twice?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, calling the collection agency doesn't ruin any chance of them GW'ing them.. You can still send GW letters even after you call and speak to someone on the phone.

It doesn't hurt you at all cause chances are someone else is going to look at it other then the person you talked to.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the open ones are paid then you can send a DV letter or you can dispute them if they have been paid. They are required to either update with a $0 balance or remove them.

Message 7 of 13
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

My assumption is you disputed with the CRA's and not the CA's.  If that's correct, send a Direct Dispute Letter to the CA along with the documentation showing them as Paid/Closed.  If the CA refuses to properly report, then file a BBB complaint.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tomfromrictmame wrote:

My assumption is you disputed with the CRA's and not the CA's.  If that's correct, send a Direct Dispute Letter to the CA along with the documentation showing them as Paid/Closed.  If the CA refuses to properly report, then file a BBB complaint.

Yes, you are correct with your assumption.  I just wrote a Goodwill Letter but I'm holding off until I decide the best approach. 

Message 9 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have two separate issues.  First is getting their reporting corrected, which they are required to do, and second is attempting to get their reporting of the collection deleted, which is discretionary on their part.

As for the first issue, any party who has furnisher information to a CRA assumes the responsibility under FCRA 623(a)(2) to promptly update the reported information so as to maintain its current accuracy.  When the debt was paid, that required the debt collector to promptly close their collection and update the balance remaining under collection to $0.

If they fail to do so in their next regular reporting cycle (which would be "promplty"), I would advise giving them an informal call, and remind them of their responsibility.

I would reserive a dispute, as it is best to avoid a pending dispute flag on your CR.

If they dont update within their next reporting cycle, then send a direct dispute to the debt collector for their lack of c ompliance with section 623(a)(2).

They must respond to that direct dispute within 30ísh days.  If the direct dispute does not resolve the reporting, then file a formal complaint with the CFPB, not the BBB

The second issue is attempting to get them to delete the entire collection.  Deletion of a paid collection is totally discretionary on their part, so disputes and complaints are not the path.  You are requesting their good-will deletion.

One should keep in mind that CRA policy is that furnishers should NOT delete prior reporting based on satisfaction of the debt, so a GW request for deletion is asking them to act contrary to reporting guidelines of the CRAs.  Many debt collectiors have a standard policy of summarily denying such requests, and it is often necessry to pursue such requests by direct contact with a management official, who has authority to grant exceptons to their standard no-deletion policy.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.