Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Position

tag
mpace3
Established Member

Better Position

I'm thinking about opening up an acct with NFCU to hopefully better myself and family credit situation. For someone who is hoping to purchase a home in the next

6-12 months is this a good idea or should I stand pat. 

Currently, I bank with USAA, but I read so many positive things on this board regarding NFCU. This the rundown of my current situation. I'll try and not be long winded.

Own or Renting: Own 17yrs. 

MyFico08: Current  EX702  TU724 EQ706  (two derog medical $54 2013 paid,$64 2014 paid both with Collectron Collection)

DW MyFico Current EX664 TU648 EQ648 (late student loans 2013 current now)

I'm currently paying down my credit cards so each of my scores has been going upward between (30-60)pts.

My utilization has gone down from 84%($23,000) to 41%($12000)

I should have the rest of the CC debt paid off in the next 4-5 months(PayPal, home depot both maxed out).

I do not know if they would do a hard pull or soft pull. I just didn't want my scores to drop.

My goal was to hopefully use NFCU as my mortgage lender.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Re: Better Position

As you have read, Navy is a generous lender.  They pull EQ for their CCs and use the EQ04 score.  (I know this from my last approval which showed me in the mid-600s where my EQ08 was 703.)  I got $10K on the cashRewards card.  Once it reports (they report at EOM), your util will drop as well.  Smiley Happy

Scores are good for a mtg.  Are you looking at moving or just doing a refi?  I have no experience with Navy regarding mtgs, but I have read a few horror stories online.

For the most part, my experience with Navy have been good.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
mpace3
Established Member

Re: Better Position

I like what you said regarding the credit utilization drop. So would I be safe to say that my scores could possibly stay the same since the utilization would help out somewhat.thanks for reply. I'm just hoping my credit score doesn't drop or drop that much if I apply.  I want to keep my current home and purchase a second home that will turn into our retirement home.

My current mortgage takes up I think 4% of our income. So I'm hoping I'll be able to purchase another

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.