tb05

Better to call and negotiate first---Target?

These forums have been fantastic--I'm new to the board and thought PFD was my only option...I have some charge-offs due to job loss that I am going to work on, but in the meantime I have a Target account at +120 days...I can pay the balance right now of $937, but am wondering if its a better option to call first to negotiate (and of course ask for it writing) or just to pay it in full and then neogtiate...also, what should  I realistically expect them to do if I pay in full? Thanks!!

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Better to call and negotiate first---Target?

tb05 wrote:

These forums have been fantastic--I'm new to the board and thought PFD was my only option...I have some charge-offs due to job loss that I am going to work on, but in the meantime I have a Target account at +120 days...I can pay the balance right now of $937, but am wondering if its a better option to call first to negotiate (and of course ask for it writing) or just to pay it in full and then neogtiate...also, what should  I realistically expect them to do if I pay in full? Thanks!!

4 months behind? I personally would just pay it off since it hasn't been CO'd. Otherwise the option would be to offer a PFD and if a few attempts fail, then to pay it. I personally lean toward 100% vs. a settlement. A settlement comment like "paid for less than full" is scored by FICO and is scored as a negative on par as a CO. And a full payment could improve your odds at a GW request later. As a creditor, I would be more open to a GW request for someone that paid in full vs. settled. But that's a personal call. Nobody can do that for you.

Mega Contributor
RobertEG

Re: Better to call and negotiate first---Target?

I too would pay.

Being 120+ late, you are fast approaching a charge-off of the debt, and possibly referral or sale of the bad debt, additionally resulting in a collection.  Those will each compound your woes.

Acceptance of a PFD offer is iffy. 

I would not throw the dice on a PFD offer.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}