cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to reduce balance on active cards or pay off charge offs?

tag
RedHead1
Valued Member

Better to reduce balance on active cards or pay off charge offs?

Hi All, 

I have about 4 active credit cards all at 90+% maxed ($2000, 800, 300, 280) and 8 older charge offs for about $4700. The current balances aren't really indicative of my new credit habits. I pay very regularly and on time and did have most of them below 50% until last month. Ideally, I want to get my credit history healed enough that I could get 1 credit card to consolidate old debt (balance transfers) on a clean slate and rebuild that way. I would use PFDs and GWs like crazy at that point. BUT my credit's not good enough to get a card that's large enough to take care of all of them.

In the meantime, I worked a temporary second job to earn more to pay it off, but I'm not sure what would be the better move for my credit report and goal of getting the best credit score and report possible. Is it better for my credit score/report to pay down cards with good history/open credit or pay off old, charged off debt? Keep in mind that I only have about $1000 which won't pay any of it all off, just a portion of either (or both?). 

Thanks!

Starting Score: 464 October 2012
Current Score: 544 (+80 points whoo hoo!)
Goal Score: 600

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Better to reduce balance on active cards or pay off charge offs?

I would get your current CC under control first.  Those maxed out cards are causing double dings to your score. 

Are the COs also CC?  If they are, even though they are factored into your utilization and once paid off no will longer be, the fact they are COs will still hurt your score.

By paying down your current CC to a manageable utilization, your score should go up.  Then worry about the COs.

Message 2 of 10
RedHead1
Valued Member

All the debt mentioned is credit cards. Better to let the sleeping dogs lie, so to speak? My goal WAS to use the open balances to move old debt to the new cards, but my main problem CA, Portfolio Associates, won't take credit or even balance transfers. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 10
traveler2005
Established Contributor

How old are your charge offs?  Any of them past the SOL at this time. Have you tried any pay for deletes with any of the companies that you currently have charge off with?

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 4 of 10
RedHead1
Valued Member

They are all within SOL, unfortunately. It's only in the past 3 years that I've gotten on the ball with credit (barely, but still Smiley Happy ) Traveler, I have not tried PFD with anything yet, because I never had the cash/money until now. 

Message 5 of 10
traveler2005
Established Contributor

what companies are the charge offs with? There are some companies that will pfd and then some that wont' better to try with the ones that will first. Remember YMMV

Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 6 of 10
RedHead1
Valued Member

They're mostly CAs now. And BAD ones, too. Portfolio Recovery Associates, Carson Smithfield, etc. According to the forum, I've acquired quite the "collection" of worst possible CAs to have. (sorry for the pun!) Don't see much success in PFD with those. GWs maybe.

Message 7 of 10
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Yes definately GW after payment. Knowing this, I agree that you need to get your current balances down to 1 card reporting <9%, over time, and then attack the CO's one at a time. It will help in future with the charge offs showing that they have been paid. Even though when paid they won't raise your score, when a new company does a manual review they will see that you have shown good faith and paid them off.

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Does the OC still own the debt or have they been sold to the CA?

The CA debt does not factor into your utilization, whether they own it or not.  Only the OC debt would.

Message 9 of 10
RedHead1
Valued Member

All the CAs own the debts. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.