Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better way to rebuild after Chapter 7??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better way to rebuild after Chapter 7??

Hi guys! I got my Chapter 7 discharge back on April. Right after, i applied and got a Credit One card with a $600 limit. I've kept the utilization ratio around 30-50% but usually PIF each month. My FICO score has jumped to 605 on average already, so i was wondering if I should apply for a better card which would give me a decent CL, or should i stick with Credit One any longer? I hate the ridiculous fees from Credit One, so I'm desperate to get rid of that card. Any suggestions ?? I will appreciate all responses!! Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Better way to rebuild after Chapter 7??

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys! I got my Chapter 7 discharge back on April. Right after, i applied and got a Credit One card with a $600 limit. I've kept the utilization ratio around 30-50% but usually PIF each month. My FICO score has jumped to 605 on average already, so i was wondering if I should apply for a better card which would give me a decent CL, or should i stick with Credit One any longer? I hate the ridiculous fees from Credit One, so I'm desperate to get rid of that card. Any suggestions ?? I will appreciate all responses!! Thanks!

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

You actually need 3 open revolvers to drive your Fico so I would look to obtain 2 more. If you did not burn Cap-1 you can try for their unsecured platinum. You may also consider a secured card or two. If you paid the AF for that Credit One I would cancel it when it comes around again if you are in a better position by then. Its doubtful you would get much of a higher limit being so close to the discharge you will first need to demonstrate that you can handle the lower limits over time and then higher limits will beget higher limits.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Secured-Cards-Database/td-p/3846302

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I included Cap1 in my bankruptcy, i even applied for their secured Card before I applied for credit one and got a letter of denial stating that because i had recently filed for CH7 and included them i did not qualify for their secured card at the moment. i guess i have to look elsewhere, or stick with credit one until the next AF. Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Check out the following link it may be helpful in your rebuild. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/m-p/1384075#M9218
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I included Cap1 in my bankruptcy, i even applied for their secured Card before I applied for credit one and got a letter of denial stating that because i had recently filed for CH7 and included them i did not qualify for their secured card at the moment. i guess i have to look elsewhere, or stick with credit one until the next AF. Smiley Frustrated

keep an eye on capital ones prequal site to see if any offers come up somewhere between 6-12 months.  My hubby and I burned capital one in our BK7, but after a year we were both approved for the platinum card.   Good luck!

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great to hear! Thanks for the advice. Smiley Wink

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

keep an eye on capital ones prequal site to see if any offers come up somewhere between 6-12 months.  My hubby and I burned capital one in our BK7, but after a year we were both approved for the platinum card.   Good luck!

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Check out the following link it may be helpful in your rebuild. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/m-p/1384075#M9218

Thats a great article! I like the idea of a credit builder loan, but i cant find any credit unions near me that offer such thing. So unfortunate!

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started my CH7 rebuild with CreditOne as well, since I had burned CapOne like you did.  I kept my CreditOne statement balances at around 10% of my overall credit line and then after 6 months of usage was able to get an unsecured Discover IT (I hadn't burned them).  

After a year you can probably get back in with Cap One.  

You mentioned you haven't been able to find a local credit builder loan.  I believe there are ones available from online banks (just do research on these forums) but what about a reaffirmed car loan, or student loan that is still reporting?  If you have an active installment loan the credit builder loan won't be necessary.  

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I started my CH7 rebuild with CreditOne as well, since I had burned CapOne like you did.  I kept my CreditOne statement balances at around 10% of my overall credit line and then after 6 months of usage was able to get an unsecured Discover IT (I hadn't burned them).  

You mentioned you haven't been able to find a local credit builder loan.  I believe there are ones available from online banks (just do research on these forums) but what about a reaffirmed car loan, or student loan that is still reporting?  If you have an active installment loan the credit builder loan won't be necessary.  

I currently have ongoing student loans which are deferred until I finish college (two more years). I am not making payments on them because I am not required to. Not sure if they benefit my credit at all?? 

Message 9 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have ongoing student loans which are deferred until I finish college (two more years). I am not making payments on them because I am not required to. Not sure if they benefit my credit at all?? 

They are installment loans so you dont have to get any other type of that category to help boost Fico. No installement loans at all typically costs 15-20 Fico 8 points.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.