Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

0 Kudos

Better way to rebuild after Chapter 7??

Hi guys! I got my Chapter 7 discharge back on April. Right after, i applied and got a Credit One card with a $600 limit. I've kept the utilization ratio around 30-50% but usually PIF each month. My FICO score has jumped to 605 on average already, so i was wondering if I should apply for a better card which would give me a decent CL, or should i stick with Credit One any longer? I hate the ridiculous fees from Credit One, so I'm desperate to get rid of that card. Any suggestions ?? I will appreciate all responses!! Thanks!

0 Kudos

Re: Better way to rebuild after Chapter 7??

rgibson wrote:

Hi guys! I got my Chapter 7 discharge back on April. Right after, i applied and got a Credit One card with a $600 limit. I've kept the utilization ratio around 30-50% but usually PIF each month. My FICO score has jumped to 605 on average already, so i was wondering if I should apply for a better card which would give me a decent CL, or should i stick with Credit One any longer? I hate the ridiculous fees from Credit One, so I'm desperate to get rid of that card. Any suggestions ?? I will appreciate all responses!! Thanks!

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

You actually need 3 open revolvers to drive your Fico so I would look to obtain 2 more. If you did not burn Cap-1 you can try for their unsecured platinum. You may also consider a secured card or two. If you paid the AF for that Credit One I would cancel it when it comes around again if you are in a better position by then. Its doubtful you would get much of a higher limit being so close to the discharge you will first need to demonstrate that you can handle the lower limits over time and then higher limits will beget higher limits.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Secured-Cards-Database/td-p/3846302

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I included Cap1 in my bankruptcy, i even applied for their secured Card before I applied for credit one and got a letter of denial stating that because i had recently filed for CH7 and included them i did not qualify for their secured card at the moment. i guess i have to look elsewhere, or stick with credit one until the next AF. Smiley Frustrated

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

rgibson wrote:

Check out the following link it may be helpful in your rebuild. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/m-p...
FICO 8 Scores Eq 821 Ex 820 TU 841, 178K Available CL, 1% Util

Contributor
0 Kudos

rgibson wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I included Cap1 in my bankruptcy, i even applied for their secured Card before I applied for credit one and got a letter of denial stating that because i had recently filed for CH7 and included them i did not qualify for their secured card at the moment. i guess i have to look elsewhere, or stick with credit one until the next AF. Smiley Frustrated

keep an eye on capital ones prequal site to see if any offers come up somewhere between 6-12 months.  My hubby and I burned capital one in our BK7, but after a year we were both approved for the platinum card.   Good luck!

0 Kudos

Great to hear! Thanks for the advice. Smiley Wink

momo1123 wrote:

rgibson wrote:

keep an eye on capital ones prequal site to see if any offers come up somewhere between 6-12 months.  My hubby and I burned capital one in our BK7, but after a year we were both approved for the platinum card.   Good luck!

0 Kudos

tel12 wrote:

rgibson wrote:

Check out the following link it may be helpful in your rebuild. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/m-p...

Thats a great article! I like the idea of a credit builder loan, but i cant find any credit unions near me that offer such thing. So unfortunate!

Valued Member
0 Kudos

I started my CH7 rebuild with CreditOne as well, since I had burned CapOne like you did.  I kept my CreditOne statement balances at around 10% of my overall credit line and then after 6 months of usage was able to get an unsecured Discover IT (I hadn't burned them).  

After a year you can probably get back in with Cap One.  

You mentioned you haven't been able to find a local credit builder loan.  I believe there are ones available from online banks (just do research on these forums) but what about a reaffirmed car loan, or student loan that is still reporting?  If you have an active installment loan the credit builder loan won't be necessary.  

BK7 discharged September 2015
Capital One Venture $15,000, Quiksilver $3800, Discover IT $6000, PenFed Power Cash Rewards $2500, J.Crew Store Card $1700
EQ 688 / TU 665 / EX 680 As of Sep 6th 2017
Credit Goals: 700+ score, mortgage ready in 2018
In the garden until January 2018
0 Kudos

Sauternes wrote:

I started my CH7 rebuild with CreditOne as well, since I had burned CapOne like you did.  I kept my CreditOne statement balances at around 10% of my overall credit line and then after 6 months of usage was able to get an unsecured Discover IT (I hadn't burned them).  

You mentioned you haven't been able to find a local credit builder loan.  I believe there are ones available from online banks (just do research on these forums) but what about a reaffirmed car loan, or student loan that is still reporting?  If you have an active installment loan the credit builder loan won't be necessary.  

I currently have ongoing student loans which are deferred until I finish college (two more years). I am not making payments on them because I am not required to. Not sure if they benefit my credit at all?? 

0 Kudos

rgibson wrote:

Sauternes wrote:

I currently have ongoing student loans which are deferred until I finish college (two more years). I am not making payments on them because I am not required to. Not sure if they benefit my credit at all?? 

They are installment loans so you dont have to get any other type of that category to help boost Fico. No installement loans at all typically costs 15-20 Fico 8 points.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.