Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of CREDITORS COLLECTION BUREAU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beware of CREDITORS COLLECTION BUREAU

So, I have CREDITORS COLLECTION BUREAU (CCB ) for a medical bill.  I called and asked them if I could make payments on my $2600 bill.  They said sure.  They asked what type of payment plan would I need that would work for me.  I said before I do that, can you tell me if you will remove the entry from my report when the balance is fully paid?  The rep said yes, all you to do is dispute it with the Credit Bureau and they will remove it. I started to laugh and told them that is not a true statement.  I asked if they could provide me in writing something stating that they would remove the entry from my credit report. They told me know. Just dispute it.  So, I told her no that I would not continue to setup the payment plan if they can't remove the entry.

Has anyone made a payment plan with CCB before and disputed it and had it removed?  Or have any completed a pay for delete with them before?

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Beware of CREDITORS COLLECTION BUREAU

I think what the CSR is trying to tell you is after payment, if you dispute, they will not repsond.  Therefore it would be deleted.

I have seen this work before.  And one of the few times I would actually dispute a TL.

On the other hand, you risk the chance of them verifying. 

Have you attempted to contact the OC to see if they still own the debt, will take payments from you and recall the account from the CA?

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi dbell9, and welcome to the FICO Forums! Smiley Happy

Would you mind my asking if this debt is still within the SOL? If so, I'd advise you to stop calling the CA, and definitely don't get the collector on the phone stirred up by pointing out their dishonesty, and making ultimatums when you're in the disadvantaged position. This, because you've acknowledged that the debt is yours, and tipped them off that you *can* pay. If the debt is within the SOL, what would their motivation be to NOT sue you, after you refuse to make good on the debt? They're not obligated to delete, after all.

Especially if the debt is within the SOL, or the SOL can be reset by making a payment, or even a promise to pay (it doesn't sound like you did, but just in case...) you'll want to, ideally, keep all communications to writing. All agreements made should be in writing, period. And, if the debt is w/in the SOL, you'll want to be fairly certain that you can pay if you start poking at a CA.

Have you read up on the HIPAA process? You may want to Google it (we don't discuss it here in the FICO forums), and pursue that as a possible means of delete. You will need to be able to pay the debt in full, however.

Also, as Guiness suggested, you might try contacting the OC, and asking if they can pull the account back from the CA.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

I think what the CSR is trying to tell you is after payment, if you dispute, they will not repsond.  Therefore it would be deleted.

I have seen this work before.  And one of the few times I would actually dispute a TL.

On the other hand, you risk the chance of them verifying. 

Have you attempted to contact the OC to see if they still own the debt, will take payments from you and recall the account from the CA?

I never thought about calling the OC.  Didn't think that they would recall the account from the CA.  That's worth a try. I will give that a shoot.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks LilMirth.  Is there a link to the HIPAA Process that you can point me to?  BTW, I didn't tip them to anything.

Message 5 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You have to google the HIPPA method.   Not allowed on the forums.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more question.  Is it against HIPPA for the collection to show up on my credit report as the following:

Original Creditor: MED1 02 DUPAGE ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY C

Message 7 of 18
Lawstudent007

Don't want to hijack this thread, but have a quick question: why can't the HIPAA process be discussed on the forum. There are so many posts that refer to it...

Message 8 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Lawstudent007 wrote:

Don't want to hijack this thread, but have a quick question: why can't the HIPAA process be discussed on the forum. There are so many posts that refer to it...

Great question! Someone else, outside of these forums, claimed to own the HIPAA process. Instead of challenging ownership concepts of a federal law (HIPAA), the forums are directing others to google the info.

At one point the HIPAA process worked very well. IMO, the CRAs were scared into removing CAs due to medical privacy, and it worked. However, EX started to catch on and now the other two are following suit. The magic is no longer there, as far as I can see. Besides, I read HIPAA over and over  and over again and could never find a basis for those letters, assuming the CA didn't know what the medical issue was.

Message 9 of 18
Lawstudent007

Thanks for the update llecs. Claiming ownership huh, interesting...

So is it more lile a hit or miss with the CRAs, or does HIPAA not work at all?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.