cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beyond Frustrated! Needing some help and motivation!

tag
Lola412

Beyond Frustrated! Needing some help and motivation!

Good evening everyone! So here is the issue. I recently had some financial trouble. I lost my job back in 2013 but am currently employeed. Due to this mishap I have about 7-10  Collection accounts depending which report is pulled. My scores are TU 722, EQ 563, EX 548 FICO 587. I am desperately trying to PFD on ALL collection accounts and have no idea where to start. I was even turned down for a secured credit card. I am so confused and losing hope. Please help!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Beyond Frustrated! Needing some help and motivation!

@Lola412 wrote:

Good evening everyone! So here is the issue. I recently had some financial trouble. I lost my job back in 2013 but am currently employeed. Due to this mishap I have about 7-10  Collection accounts depending which report is pulled. My scores are TU 722, EQ 563, EX 548 FICO 587. I am desperately trying to PFD on ALL collection accounts and have no idea where to start. I was even turned down for a secured credit card. I am so confused and losing hope. Please help!

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

The first line of defense against CAs is a DV, since these are all likely within states SOL I would only contact them if you truly are able to PIF. On the ones that do validate the debt I would probably try calling the OC and asking them to recall the CA and settle directly with the OC.

Message 2 of 27
JBG
Established Member

Step 1. Take a deep breath

Step 2. Make a list of the creditors and search each one on the board [great way to get best practices] 

You will also find out if that particular company is willing to pfd. 

Step 3. Complete the debt validation process [do what gdale recommended]

Step 4. Take another deep breath

Step 5. Review the new list of creditors after dv [celebrate the big and small wins]

Step 6. Contact the creditors starting with the smallest balances the work your way up [ some are even willing to delete with a settlement] 

Step 7. Be patient and willing to play the waiting game. Visit the board and checkout other folk win stories. [Great way to jump start the motivation train]

step 8. Complete the good will letter process [never hurts to see if they are will to remove lates]

Step 9. Take one more deep breath.

Step 10. Don't give up!

I have been where you are and I can tell you that if you have patience and are willing to put in some work. Everything will work out. I went from 17 write offs/collections to 5 paid write offs by putting in the work. Alot of us have come a long way and so can you. The great thing is that you are not alone and you can ask as meny questions as you need to.

Yes you will get frustrated but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck on your journey...

Starting Score: EQ 504, TU 524, Quizzle 560 Feb 2013
Current Score: EQ 650, TU 679 , EX 667 (1/19/15) All FiCO
Goal Score: 690
Official home owner as of Nov 2013 (Thanks to All of You)
Message 3 of 27
growing123
Regular Contributor

@JBG wrote:

Step 2. Make a list of the creditors and search each one on the board [great way to get best practices] 

Step 5. Review the new list of creditors after dv [celebrate the big and small wins]

Step 6. Contact the creditors starting with the smallest balances the work your way up [ some are even willing to delete with a settlement] 

Step 7. Be patient and willing to play the waiting game. Visit the board and checkout other folk win stories. [Great way to jump start the motivation train]

step 8. Complete the good will letter process [never hurts to see if they are will to remove lates]

Step 10. Don't give up!

I have been where you are and I can tell you that if you have patience and are willing to put in some work. Everything will work out. I went from 17 write offs/collections to 5 paid write offs by putting in the work. Alot of us have come a long way and so can you. The great thing is that you are not alone and you can ask as meny questions as you need to.

+1  I like this advice, deep breathing and all!  lol Smiley Happy Follow this and gdale's advise OP and you'll be on your way!

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 4 of 27
spike69
Frequent Contributor

One additional note: The issue was not created in a day nor will it be fixed in a day. It takes continuous work and time to repair. I say this because some days I am jumping out of my skin waiting for a credit update. I am forcing myself NOT to check scores unless I get a SW alert or it has been 30 days since my last check.

Message 5 of 27
hopeful14
New Contributor

Gdale,  you mentioned contacting the OC and asking them to recall the CA and settling with them.  If they do recall it from the CA does that make it where the CA can't report it to the CRA?

Chase Southwest Airlines Card $5K, Capital One $3K, Discover It $1.9K, Barclay Rewards $1K, First Premier $300.00 Back to the garden on 06/14/14

hr>Starting Score: 643
Current Score: 686
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 27
hopeful14
New Contributor

DO NOT GIVE UP!  Its frustrating and depressing, but just follow the advise the people here give you and you will start seeing results.  I thought my situation was hopeless.  I read and read and read and asked questions.  I had 9 baddies 6 weeks ago and I now have 3.  I have taken steps on 2 of them and I think they will be gone soon.  You can do this,  the more I read and and more steps I took to remedy my situation the more I wanted to do.  I got restless waiting for things to happen, but as they all will tell you, "its not a race its a marathon"  

Chase Southwest Airlines Card $5K, Capital One $3K, Discover It $1.9K, Barclay Rewards $1K, First Premier $300.00 Back to the garden on 06/14/14

hr>Starting Score: 643
Current Score: 686
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 27
Lola412

Thank you so much for you help and motivation I really appreciate it!!

Message 8 of 27
Lola412

Your advice is very insightful and I appreciate it. Here is what I looking at so far for Collections:

Penn State Library $54-2009- Unique National Collections

Medical Bill $110 2013-National Recovery agency

Gold's Gym $280-2011-First Credit Services

Capital One $234 Charge off 2012-(is with Northland Group but capital one is reporting)

Duquesne Light $369 2011 National Recovery Agency

Penn State Federal Credit Union $890-2009-Credit Protection Agency

DIrectTV $862-2011-Convergent Outsourcing Inc

Sprint $1317 2012 West Asset Management 

Comcast $1654 2011 Convergent Outsourcing Inc

Fox Hill Equities $2764 2012 Financial Managment Solutiions

Tmobile USA $1112 2010 Convergent Outsourcing Inc

Receivables Management $593 (Unknown) 

Verizon $2880 2012 Pinnacle 

Any assistance that anyone can provide in regards to PFD success, GW Letter and things of that nature, would be extremely helpful :-)

Message 9 of 27
cflowers0115
Regular Contributor

@growing123 wrote:

@JBG wrote:

Step 10. Don't give up!

+1  I like this advice, deep breathing and all!  lol Smiley Happy Follow this and gdale's advise OP and you'll be on your way!

+2

Starting Scores: 8/13/18: EQ: 556 TU: 521 EX: 544
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.