Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Mess

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Big Mess

@Anonymous wrote:

EM71 - I don't have any active credit cards myself. The only ones that are shown as being active are my parent's Macys and AMEX card. All of my own personal cards have been charged off. This Capital One Secure Card is the first credit card I've had in four years. I didn't feel comfortable getting a card when I was unemployed, let alone qualify for it. Everything I'm referring to has been charged off.

So you have multiple chargeoffs and multiple collections or eventual multiple collections  because of the chargeoffs. If you let those go you will not get farther than your secured card.

Eventually you will get sued and start having judgements reporting as well.

This is the possible scenario of one chargeoff.

Customer doesn't pay, account charged off and reports to the credit bureaus, original creditor sells the account to a collection agency with the likelihood of reporting to the credit bureaus, you get sued and end up with a judgement that could report to the credit bureaus. If you still refuse to pay they can levy any and all bank accounts, attach any and all property you own and of course garnish your wages from your employment.

This could happen to each unpaid chargeoff.

Your credit will be trashed for 7.5 years and judgements will get you. Maybe even many years later for thousands of dollars more than the original amount because judgements accrue interest until satisfied.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got approved for a secure credit card from Capital One. It has pretty good reviews. For a deposit of fifty bucks, they will give me $200 of credit. According to their information, if I make five consective payments, they will raise the credit. This how my parents repaired the credit after a bankruptcy. My main beef is that I don't want to pay anything to creditors and have it not removed from my credit report. Right now, I'm going to start with those tax liens and go from there. One step at a time.

Their debt was discharged in a bankruptcy which gave them a fresh start. You don't have a fresh start with multiple derogs & delinquencies and no bankruptcy discharge.

Your in the trenches and it won't be easy getting out until you address your baddies.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all due respect, dony, your post seems rather judgy. Those "baddies" as you call them include an ambulence bill, a credit card taken out so I can get new glasses, dental work, etc. I didn't pay my taxes, because I was young and stupid. It has been almost ten years. My student loans were on hold, because I was still in school. I made mistakes, but I don't expect judgement. Most of the charge offs are anywhere between three to five years old. Nobody ever calls me. I don't mind paying them, but I want to make sure that they are eliminated from my credit report once they're paid. As I said, my credit report is a mess. There are multiple entires. Making sense out of it is near impossible. I don't mind making payments and I'm doing my best to clear it up, but I want to make sure I have a clear picture what is going before I do anything. I'm asking for suggestions. Are there credit recovery services? Does anyone have any suggestions.

Message 13 of 19
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

If it's overwhelming, let's focus on one thing at a time. I don't know anything about tax leins so not going to be much help there. You mentioned a grace period for the student loans. I'm assuming that you mean they aren't due yet, right?
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

With all due respect, dony, your post seems rather judgy. Those "baddies" as you call them include an ambulence bill, a credit card taken out so I can get new glasses, dental work, etc. I didn't pay my taxes, because I was young and stupid. It has been almost ten years. My student loans were on hold, because I was still in school. I made mistakes, but I don't expect judgement. Most of the charge offs are anywhere between three to five years old. Nobody ever calls me. I don't mind paying them, but I want to make sure that they are eliminated from my credit report once they're paid. As I said, my credit report is a mess. There are multiple entires. Making sense out of it is near impossible. I don't mind making payments and I'm doing my best to clear it up, but I want to make sure I have a clear picture what is going before I do anything. I'm asking for suggestions. Are there credit recovery services? Does anyone have any suggestions.

With all due respect to you, I'm not being judgemental at all. I was where you are and maybe even a little worse. I needed to hear what I'm suggesting to you.

I'm confident you can take care of this with time and patience.

When you suggested letting a lot of it go is why I spelled out the potential consequences.

Not picking on you.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What ever the reasons were, they became "baddies".

If you want to clean things up you may have to pay them first and then start a goodwill campaign.

Message 16 of 19
saltlakere
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

This is actually some of the info we need. If these are charge offs which have turned into collections, these are your possible scenarios:

1. The original creditor charges it off as a loss and doesn't sell it to a collection agency. Depending on state law (statute of limitations), the original debt becomes uncollectible and you're home free on the debt, but the bad reporting can stay on your credit report until the reporting agency removes it or you dispute it to be removed. Over time, the impact to your credit score diminishes.

2. The original creditor charges it off and then sells it to a collection agency. When the collection agency gets it, they report it as a new collection and it dings your credit. They may send letters or call you and they may give up. Sometimes this happens multiple times with different collection agencies. Your scores get hit every time. Keep in mind, the clock for the statute of limitations is based on the original creditor. (This is what typically happens and puts your reports in credit hell.)

3. The original creditor charges it off and then sells it to a collection agency. When the collection agency gets it, they report it as a new collection and it dings your credit. They may send letters or call you and they may give up. Or they may sue you and seek a judgment. If you ignore the lawsuit, they'll get a default judgment against you. This is the worst case scenario as your credit gets dinged from the lates by the original creditor, the collections AND the judgment. With a judgment, the creditor can now garnish your wages or attach your bank accounts. (This doesn't happen as much as the other scenarios but it happens.) Even if you pay the judgment, it can remain on your credit for 7-10 years.

You have a lot of leverage in scenario 2. The collection agency has paid pennies on the dollar for the debt. The original creditor is out of the picture. It's not their debt to collect any more and they've been paid something for it and written off the rest. Negotiate with the collection agency and get them to agree to either never report the collection or delete the collection if it's been reported. Once you successfully negotiate this, you can ask the original creditor to delete lates or delete the account all together. Remember, you've already taken the hit to your credit. You don't want any new collection attempts dinging it and you certainly don't want to get sued.

So when you say you're "thinking of letting it go," please understand that could be seven to ten years of hoping someone doesn't sue you, suffering from low credit scores which will cause you to be denied for credit or pay too much for it. And no one here is judging you. "Baddies" refers to bad marks on your credit and I've been through all three of these scenarios and am bouncing back. Good luck!

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@saltlakere wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is actually some of the info we need. If these are charge offs which have turned into collections, these are your possible scenarios:

1. The original creditor charges it off as a loss and doesn't sell it to a collection agency. Depending on state law (statute of limitations), the original debt becomes uncollectible and you're home free on the debt, but the bad reporting can stay on your credit report until the reporting agency removes it or you dispute it to be removed. Over time, the impact to your credit score diminishes.

2. The original creditor charges it off and then sells it to a collection agency. When the collection agency gets it, they report it as a new collection and it dings your credit. They may send letters or call you and they may give up. Sometimes this happens multiple times with different collection agencies. Your scores get hit every time. Keep in mind, the clock for the statute of limitations is based on the original creditor. (This is what typically happens and puts your reports in credit hell.)

3. The original creditor charges it off and then sells it to a collection agency. When the collection agency gets it, they report it as a new collection and it dings your credit. They may send letters or call you and they may give up. Or they may sue you and seek a judgment. If you ignore the lawsuit, they'll get a default judgment against you. This is the worst case scenario as your credit gets dinged from the lates by the original creditor, the collections AND the judgment. With a judgment, the creditor can now garnish your wages or attach your bank accounts. (This doesn't happen as much as the other scenarios but it happens.) Even if you pay the judgment, it can remain on your credit for 7-10 years.

You have a lot of leverage in scenario 2. The collection agency has paid pennies on the dollar for the debt. The original creditor is out of the picture. It's not their debt to collect any more and they've been paid something for it and written off the rest. Negotiate with the collection agency and get them to agree to either never report the collection or delete the collection if it's been reported. Once you successfully negotiate this, you can ask the original creditor to delete lates or delete the account all together. Remember, you've already taken the hit to your credit. You don't want any new collection attempts dinging it and you certainly don't want to get sued.

So when you say you're "thinking of letting it go," please understand that could be seven to ten years of hoping someone doesn't sue you, suffering from low credit scores which will cause you to be denied for credit or pay too much for it. And no one here is judging you. "Baddies" refers to bad marks on your credit and I've been through all three of these scenarios and am bouncing back. Good luck!

Good post..A little more detailed than mine.

The OP also needs to keep in mind, judgements can be renewed time and time again.

Message 18 of 19
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

They won't remove it from you credit report just because it was paid. You have to do GW's or hopefully talk to someone nice enough to remove the collection. There are people on here that give advice on the collections agencies that they have dealt with. I had a AFNI collection that I paid then sent out a GW email and it was removed off my credit report.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.