cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blog of my journey towards financial freedom!

tag
cody205
Established Member

Re: Blog of my journey towards financial freedom!

@Anonymous wrote:

@cody205 wrote:

Howdy from Texas!

I've been following this forum for awhile now, and I'm finally to the point where I feel comfortable enough to post my journey!

MAR 2014 - I took advice from this forum and decided to apply for a Capital One secured card and was denied. I had a Checking and Savings account with Wells Fargo, so I decided to apply for a secured card with them and was approved. I opened the $300 secured card on March 03 of 2014, and was given an Experian credit score of 509. I also opened a $5,000 secured loan on the 7th. Since then, my credit card has been impeccable. My loan was once 30 days past due, and once 60 days past due.

OCT 2014 - CreditKarma reports 452 TransUnion.

MAR 2015 - CreditKarma reports 489 TransUnion and 509 Equifax. Decided to apply for Capital One again and see what happens. I applied for the $200 secured card, and not only was I approved, but I only had to put $99 down. I decided to put $152 down, and got a credit limit of $251. I also read great things about Navy Federal Credit Union here and since I had a checking account with them in the past, I decided to give them a call. I applied for their $500 secured card and was approved.

APR 2015 - CreditKarma reports 500 TransUnion and 512 Equifax. Capital One reports 531 TransUnion. Credit.com Reports 550 Experian. Wells Fargo Identity Protection reports 520 Experian, 495 Equifax, and 519 TransUnion. Lender pulled a 561 from Experian. Opened $600 Secured Loan with Navy Federal and called Wells Fargo to ask for graduation on secured card.

I will probably be in the garden taking care of baddies and watching my seeldings grow until next March, at which point I will request an unsecured card with Capital One, an unsecured card with Navy Federal, and try to get a collateralized loan with Navy Federal.

What do you guys think?

Also, what score out of everything I pulled this month seems to be the most accurate? Any other ideas?

Cody

I would recommend backing off on the secured loans. Multiple open, active, secured loans simply *do not* help your credit scores. You only need ONE open, active installment loan for scoring purposes, and it does not have to be large, it can be a simple $500 secured loan, or if you have student loans, they will fill that hole. An auto loan also works.

What is you UTI on your cards?

Do you have any unpaid charged off CC's in your reports?

I understand what you are saying about only needing one open, active loan. You say that it does not help. Does it hurt, though? The reason why I got it with Navy Federal is so I can establish a very good history with them. I'm not too worried about adding more loans, I just ant to show Navy Federal that I can take care of a credit card as well as a loan because I'd like to use them in a year or so for an Auto Loan. My plan is to take care of this $600 loan with Navy Federal over the next 6 months by paying on time, and always paying a bit extra, and a few days early. After this loan is paid off in 6 months, I hope to open a collateralized loan for $2,000 using my current auto title as collateralThey said if approved, they would loan me up to $4,200). After paying that off in 12 months, I hope to get an unsecured auto loan for somwhere around $10,000. (correct me if I'm being unreasonable, because I'm new to this.)

Also, I have 6 unpaid Chargeoffs. One of them is a credit card(that was opened when I was 17 by a family member). I am in the process of hving all of them removed, and they should either be falling off, or I should have them removed within the next 3-6 months.

My Utilization on my current open Credit Cards fluctuates between 8-17%, but I try to keep it around 10%.

One of the charged off accounts is a phone bill from Alltel, from when I left for Iraq. I don't have a copy of those original deployment orders, as that was in December of 2009, but I DO have a copy of my DD214 showing that I was deployed as of December 2009. How would I go about getting that removed or resolved?(I had no idea that the SCRA protected me from those ETF's)

Starting Score: EX 452 10/2014
Current Score: EQ 559 TU 551 EX 558 04/15/2015
GOAL Score: 625 by AUG 2015
. . . $600 . . . . . . . $300 . . . . . . . $500 . . .
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cody205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@cody205 wrote:

Howdy from Texas!

I've been following this forum for awhile now, and I'm finally to the point where I feel comfortable enough to post my journey!

MAR 2014 - I took advice from this forum and decided to apply for a Capital One secured card and was denied. I had a Checking and Savings account with Wells Fargo, so I decided to apply for a secured card with them and was approved. I opened the $300 secured card on March 03 of 2014, and was given an Experian credit score of 509. I also opened a $5,000 secured loan on the 7th. Since then, my credit card has been impeccable. My loan was once 30 days past due, and once 60 days past due.

MAR 2015 - CreditKarma reports 489 TransUnion and 509 Equifax. Decided to apply for Capital One again and see what happens. I applied for the $200 secured card, and not only was I approved, but I only had to put $99 down. I decided to put $152 down, and got a credit limit of $251. I also read great things about Navy Federal Credit Union here and since I had a checking account with them in the past, I decided to give them a call. I applied for their $500 secured card and was approved.

APR 2015 - CreditKarma reports 500 TransUnion and 512 Equifax. Capital One reports 531 TransUnion. Credit.com Reports 550 Experian. Wells Fargo Identity Protection reports 520 Experian, 495 Equifax, and 519 TransUnion. Lender pulled a 561 from Experian. Opened $600 Secured Loan with Navy Federal and called Wells Fargo to ask for graduation on secured card.

I will probably be in the garden taking care of baddies and watching my seeldings grow until next March, at which point I will request an unsecured card with Capital One, an unsecured card with Navy Federal, and try to get a collateralized loan with Navy Federal.

What do you guys think?

Also, what score out of everything I pulled this month seems to be the most accurate? Any other ideas?

Cody

I would recommend backing off on the secured loans. Multiple open, active, secured loans simply *do not* help your credit scores. You only need ONE open, active installment loan for scoring purposes, and it does not have to be large, it can be a simple $500 secured loan, or if you have student loans, they will fill that hole. An auto loan also works.

I understand what you are saying about only needing one open, active loan. You say that it does not help. Does it hurt, though? The reason why I got it with Navy Federal is so I can establish a very good history with them. I'm not too worried about adding more loans, I just ant to show Navy Federal that I can take care of a credit card as well as a loan because I'd like to use them in a year or so for an Auto Loan. My plan is to take care of this $600 loan with Navy Federal over the next 6 months by paying on time, and always paying a bit extra, and a few days early. After this loan is paid off in 6 months, I hope to open a collateralized loan for $2,000 using my current auto title as collateralThey said if approved, they would loan me up to $4,200). After paying that off in 12 months, I hope to get an unsecured auto loan for somwhere around $10,000. (correct me if I'm being unreasonable, because I'm new to this.) Seems reasonable. Although I would note that there is no such thing as an "unsecured auto loan". All auto loans are collateralized against the vehicle, otherwise it is just an unsecured signature loan. I would just suggest going from step one to step three rather than doing the interim 2K loan against the title. Sounds like you may have a signifigantly clean(er) report in 3-6 months. If your scores are in the high 600's by then a low interest auto loan should not be a problem from NFCU.

Also, I have 6 unpaid Chargeoffs. One of them is a credit card(that was opened when I was 17 by a family member). I am in the process of hving all of them removed, and they should either be falling off, or I should have them removed within the next 3-6 months.

My Utilization on my current open Credit Cards fluctuates between 8-17%, but I try to keep it around 10%.

One of the charged off accounts is a phone bill from Alltel, from when I left for Iraq. I don't have a copy of those original deployment orders, as that was in December of 2009, but I DO have a copy of my DD214 showing that I was deployed as of December 2009. How would I go about getting that removed or resolved?(I had no idea that the SCRA protected me from those ETF's)

I would notify Alltel, that as a service member deployed overseas, you are entitled to protection under the soldiers and sailors act, and any ETF needs to be credited back to your account and reporting of the account as derogatory should be deleted. Remind them that failure to abide by the SSA places them at risk of litigation.

You can request a complete copy of your entire service record from DoD.

Message 12 of 21
cody205
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@cody205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@cody205 wrote:

Howdy from Texas!

What do you guys think?

Cody

I understand what you are saying about only needing one open, active loan. You say that it does not help. Does it hurt, though? The reason why I got it with Navy Federal is so I can establish a very good history with them. I'm not too worried about adding more loans, I just ant to show Navy Federal that I can take care of a credit card as well as a loan because I'd like to use them in a year or so for an Auto Loan. My plan is to take care of this $600 loan with Navy Federal over the next 6 months by paying on time, and always paying a bit extra, and a few days early. After this loan is paid off in 6 months, I hope to open a collateralized loan for $2,000 using my current auto title as collateralThey said if approved, they would loan me up to $4,200). After paying that off in 12 months, I hope to get an unsecured auto loan for somwhere around $10,000. (correct me if I'm being unreasonable, because I'm new to this.) Seems reasonable. Although I would note that there is no such thing as an "unsecured auto loan". All auto loans are collateralized against the vehicle, otherwise it is just an unsecured signature loan. I would just suggest going from step one to step three rather than doing the interim 2K loan against the title. Sounds like you may have a signifigantly clean(er) report in 3-6 months. If your scores are in the high 600's by then a low interest auto loan should not be a problem from NFCU.

I would notify Alltel, that as a service member deployed overseas, you are entitled to protection under the soldiers and sailors act, and any ETF needs to be credited back to your account and reporting of the account as derogatory should be deleted. Remind them that failure to abide by the SSA places them at risk of litigation.

You can request a complete copy of your entire service record from DoD.

Where can I request this? I have my DD214. Anything else I can request would be news to me. If it helps, I was USA. Oh, and I feel like an idiot. I didn't meant to say unsecured loan. I meant to say a regular auto loan. Lol, thanks for all of your help! I filed a complaint on the CFPB website against the CA holding the Alltel/Verizon account. I also filed a complaint with the TX Attorney General even though the SCRA is federal. We'll see what happens.

Message 13 of 21
cody205
Established Member

Updated original post to show new information:

Finally got Experian to release my report to myfico, and new scores are 559-EQ/551-TU/558-EX.

Also, EXperian deleted Credit One Bank(Original Creditor), and LVNV Funding(Collection Agency) due to the fact that it was opened before I turned 18. Now to get the other two accounts opened before I was 18 removed.

Quick question to those of you who know more than I do...Can Credit One Bank and LVNV Funding put those accounts back on again that Experian deleted??

Message 14 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@cody205 wrote:

Updated original post to show new information:

Finally got Experian to release my report to myfico, and new scores are 559-EQ/551-TU/558-EX.

Also, EXperian deleted Credit One Bank(Original Creditor), and LVNV Funding(Collection Agency) due to the fact that it was opened before I turned 18. Now to get the other two accounts opened before I was 18 removed.

Quick question to those of you who know more than I do...Can Credit One Bank and LVNV Funding put those accounts back on again that Experian deleted??

If the CRA deleted them for not responding then yes they can go back on rather easily. If they were deleted for cause the creditor would have to provide compelling new evidence to get the CRA to put them back on. In any case I do believe you have to be notified by the CRA if they are reinserted within a specific period of time.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

For your service records go here.

Message 16 of 21
cody205
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

For your service records go here.

Thanks. I have previously requested information there, but it takes MONTHS, and they never included my deployment orders before. Only my DD214, showing I was in Iraq for the time I was there. You would think that would be enough for the Collection Agency to delete their file, but it wasn't. They want EXACT ORIGINAL copy of deployment orders and nothing else.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask the collection agency how badly they want to get sued for violating the SSA.... Your DD214 should be all thats required, if it shows you being deployed. A**holes....

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was in the Navy I was good friends with one of the PN's on the ship. On my last day, as I was checking out he handed me my entire service record, told me to keep it, so I would not get screwed around by NMPC trying to get copies of anything.

Message 19 of 21
cody205
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

When I was in the Navy I was good friends with one of the PN's on the ship. On my last day, as I was checking out he handed me my entire service record, told me to keep it, so I would not get screwed around by NMPC trying to get copies of anything.

I had most of my records, but ExWife destroyed them. She knew that by taking them, she would be hurting me for YEARS to come. I'm still trying to get a Global War On Terrorism Service Medal added to my record. I was awarded the Iraq Campaign Medal, but somehow they didn't realize that I also was supposed to be awarded the GWOTSM. When I got out, I asked them about it, and they said you either get the GWOTSM or the ICM. I said ok because I didn't know any better.

Now years afterwards, I find out that would be true for the GWOT Expeditionary Medal but NOT the service medal. You can have BOTH the GWOTSM and the ICM. Turns out the GWOTSM is pretty much a "give-me" medal anyways, for most individuals who enlisted after 9/11. I actually got called out by someone who knew their **bleep**. They claimed that if I had "REALLY been to Iraq, I would be awarded the GWOTSM as well". He tried to claim I was Stealing Valor until I pulled out a copy of my DD214. I cant be too upset with him, because I probably would've done the same thing, but it should definitely be fixed ASAP to prevent situations like that from happening in the future. EVERY other soldier who deployed with me got the GWOTSM, but for some reason I didn't. =(

As for the Midland account, my request for early exclusion with TransUnion was approved. Should I still take action against Midland Funding to have them delete all files from their records, and possibly file suit against them? Even though TransUnion removed it early, won't it still show up under a mortgage pull?

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.