Re: BoA Secured Card

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

Good rule of thumb is about three weeks for a secured card, after the funds are withdrawn.

They are certainly in no rush lol. Well after I get this secured card I hope to be in the garden until I hit 750 across the board and can start getting prime cards. 

Just don't race, and add a dozen low cards/store cards hoping it'll help. Slow and steady wins every time with the prime lenders.

The thing is I can't get approved for a store card. I'll have the BoA card for $500, The Capital One for $500, and a GE Car Care One card for $1000 (The only unsecured one). I have no derogatories, just a lack of history, thats why I said after I got this secured card I would just garden it.

How old are the three?

Capital One - 4 Months, GE Car Care One - 3 Months, BoA will be the newest. 

Ok. If you're opted in, you'll start seeing mail, and typically the prequalifiers you get can be a ground for what you "might get approved for."
By the oldest account hitting one year, you should be able to work your way up the ladder. Maybe even a few months earlier than that, if you show good payment history, and don't knock your AAOA down any further with apps.

How do I know if I am opted in? I really don't want a bunch of junk mail, but I do want my information out there so I do get preapproved for stuff. I'm starting a doctoral program in August and planned to get both of these cards up to $1000, and gardent them 2-4 years or until I graduate and let my inquiries fall off. I'm not in any rush, I just want to set myself up for success.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 11 of 16
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

Good rule of thumb is about three weeks for a secured card, after the funds are withdrawn.

They are certainly in no rush lol. Well after I get this secured card I hope to be in the garden until I hit 750 across the board and can start getting prime cards. 

Just don't race, and add a dozen low cards/store cards hoping it'll help. Slow and steady wins every time with the prime lenders.

The thing is I can't get approved for a store card. I'll have the BoA card for $500, The Capital One for $500, and a GE Car Care One card for $1000 (The only unsecured one). I have no derogatories, just a lack of history, thats why I said after I got this secured card I would just garden it.

How old are the three?

Ok. If you're opted in, you'll start seeing mail, and typically the prequalifiers you get can be a ground for what you "might get approved for."
By the oldest account hitting one year, you should be able to work your way up the ladder. Maybe even a few months earlier than that, if you show good payment history, and don't knock your AAOA down any further with apps.

How do I know if I am opted in? I really don't want a bunch of junk mail, but I do want my information out there so I do get preapproved for stuff. I'm starting a doctoral program in August and planned to get both of these cards up to $1000, and gardent them 2-4 years or until I graduate and let my inquiries fall off. I'm not in any rush, I just want to set myself up for success.

Usually, you're opted in automatically, unless there's been fraud on your CR files, or you intentionally did it at www.optoutprescreen.com

Doctorate? Research, or MD? Either way, good for you. Once you get the diploma in hand, Amex will love you.

Message 12 of 16
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

How old are the three?

Usually, you're opted in automatically, unless there's been fraud on your CR files, or you intentionally did it at www.optoutprescreen.com

Doctorate? Research, or MD? Either way, good for you. Once you get the diploma in hand, Amex will love you.

Clinical Psych. Thanks. Yeah I guess I should be opted in then. Alright so should I just stick with my original plan? Also if I do garden, how do I add the leaf to my signature? ;p

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 13 of 16
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

How old are the three?

Clinical Psych. Thanks. Yeah I guess I should be opted in then. Alright so should I just stick with my original plan? Also if I do garden, how do I add the leaf to my signature? ;p

Take on credit as you see fit. Just keep in mind that fast isn't always good. When you're ready, you'll know. Work on CLI before new cards. The big one is knowing when you've grown past your cards, and it's time to move up.

The leaf??? Uh....

No me....no gardener here.

You might want to message into the "garden meeting," and someone will tell ya.

Message 14 of 16
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

How old are the three?

Take on credit as you see fit. Just keep in mind that fast isn't always good. When you're ready, you'll know. Work on CLI before new cards. The big one is knowing when you've grown past your cards, and it's time to move up.

The leaf??? Uh....

Sounds good. Thanks for your help!

Message 15 of 16
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

How old are the three?

The leaf??? Uh....

Sounds good. Thanks for your help!

Yep. Read others postings, and you'll see hints, tricks, and "not to do's."

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.