Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Collecting on a 1990 Debt??

tag
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

BofA Collecting on a 1990 Debt??

I just got a call from what I assume was a collection agency (they didn't give me the company name -- she just said she's collecting a debt for Bank of America). She was trying to collect a $500 debt from me for B of A from 1990. Is this even right?? Can they even do this?  (I do recall having an account with them, but I definitely do not recall having any kind of credit card or line of credit with them).

When I questioned her about both  the debt (asking for written verification) and the date of the debt, she hung up on me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I should do here?

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fot1
Established Contributor

Re: BofA Collecting on a 1990 Debt??

It could be a scam, or a legit debt. You did the right thing by asking for written verification.  A debt this old is past the period it can be placed on your CR, and more then likely past your states SOL, but you should double check. Debt doesn't go away with time. They can still call and write asking for payment.

Too many to list..
Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. Unless you made a promise to pay or made a payment, or had done some moving around which could delay the SOL clock in some states, your SOL is over for a debt of this type.

They can collect forever via bugging you, calls, letters, etc.; they just can't report as mentioned. I'd make the request for verification in writing. I'd wait for them to mail you a dunning letter (the initial collection letter is required of them by law) and once you receive that, if you ever do, then mail a DV.

Message 3 of 7
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

THANK YOU!!! for your answers - I feel much better. I made no such promise to pay anything to B of A whatsoever -- in fact, the call today was the first time I've even heard of a "debt" with them (she said it was for $500 and some odd dollars, btw).

And, franky, I've been unemployed going on 10 months now -- I've burned through all my savings just to keep my bills, student loans, credit, etc. *current* -- the last thing I need is random debt from nearly twenty years ago to rear its ugly head at this point.

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 7
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

Oh, wait -- I should say -- they don't have a current address from me; and, as she hung up preemptively, they didn't get one. So yes, I have moved a few times since 1990 - will that hurt me?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hapagrrl wrote:

I just got a call from what I assume was a collection agency (they didn't give me the company name -- she just said she's collecting a debt for Bank of America). She was trying to collect a $500 debt from me for B of A from 1990. Is this even right?? Can they even do this?  (I do recall having an account with them, but I definitely do not recall having any kind of credit card or line of credit with them).

When I questioned her about both  the debt (asking for written verification) and the date of the debt, she hung up on me.

Nothing they can do to you at all, but they can still try and collect.

Find out who they are and send them a Cease & Desist.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

==============

Be VERY Careful of what you say to them when they call.

One slip I made during a phone call and a debt I had that wasnt even $1000 turned into a judgment and ended up being about $5000 by the time it was all said and done.

Its taken me years to get my credit back in shape.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.