Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Secured CC Info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BofA Secured CC Info

I'd gonthe other route and attempt BoA 1st. If denied you have a stronger case for reconsideration based on your bank history. Also cash rewards benefit over NFCU.

I used my BoA as my primary rebuilder with the cash rewards option. I was unsecured at 10 mos agter a phone call.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd gonthe other route and attempt BoA 1st. If denied you have a stronger case for reconsideration based on your bank history. Also cash rewards benefit over NFCU.

Just to add on to this. The BOA secured you do have to add the rewards on through calling them, info on adding the cashback rewards here:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/add-bank-america-cash-rewards-bankamericard-secured-credit-card/

NFCU nRewards does give 1% back in points but like worknprogress said, there is no cashback, only visa giftcards

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) I'm not convinced that one's banking 'relationship' is THAT big a deal with regard to whether or not a profile warrants extending credit, so what you have a checking account here, you still don't pay any bills😉

Ok you know I'm joking ( partially)

2) The availability and access to FUNDS can be of importance BoA only requires $300 , whereas it takes $500 @ NFCU

You guys know how I feel about blowing all available 💰 into ONE $500 TL vs establishing TWO, with the same dough, if possible

3) Further, IMO 'rewards' and 'cash-back' considerations are RED HERRINGS and dangerous, things to make a big deal about for a REBUILDER
in rebuilding mode.

The ONLY concern should be building a strong, deep, beautiful positive history over a period of TIME and NOTHING else, period.

Who cares about "rewards" on a card that's only to be used for either a) token usage for credit reporting purposes or b) not all because it's one of the 'zero' cards, again used for credit reporting purposes only for 8-10 reporting cycles.

Otherwise, you have newbies and rebuilders chasing SPEND, running behind freaking rewards when they should be focused on mastering credit & finance management, such that they don't become REBUILDERS, yet again

Again, in my world a rebuild CC is a TOOL to build, to work on the credit profile NOT a spending tool to chase airline miles or other unrelated objectives...getting the credit management right is to IMPORTANT to split focus on even thing else.

There will be plenty of time the paper chase rewards/cash back when one actually enters the credit Big Leagues until then IMO you play small ball as perfectly and as choreographed as one can with the least amount of distractions with the ultimate goal being score acceleration.
Message 13 of 19
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

If you can wait to pull your scores above 600, you can probably get the BoA 99/500  partially secured card which unsecures faster.

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for BofA secured card about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I was denied. I have, well had, a score in the high 500s (TU 593, Equifax 597 & Experian 578 which I now risen with help from two other secured cards I applied for). At the time I had one collection account on my report and a CO. I also have 8 installment loans (student loans) that are all positive. Not sure if this is helpful but this is how it went for me.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for BofA secured card about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I was denied. I have, well had, a score in the high 500s (TU 593, Equifax 597 & Experian 578 which I now risen with help from two other secured cards I applied for). At the time I had one collection account on my report and a CO. I also have 8 installment loans (student loans) that are all positive. Not sure if this is helpful but this is how it went for me.

Just wondering - At the time that you applied for the BOA secured, were your 2 other secured cards reporting? Or was your file empty as far as CCs go?

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long ago was your Cap One burn and did you pay it off? I burned them a few years ago, paid it off, waited a year and called them to make sure it was enough time. They said it had to have been paid off for a year before applying, I was good so I applied for the platinum and got approved for $300

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the other two cards weren't reporting yet. I applied for the Discover IT Secured Card & was approved, and then a few days later I applied for the BofA card & was denied. Soon after I applied for the Citi Secured Card and was approved.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd been denied the capital one secured with no credit and very similar scores. They approved me 2 months later after I'd opened a secured card with a local credit union. It sounds like BOA's reasoning for denial was similar in your case ( the lack of open tradelines)

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.