Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus investigation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bogus investigation

I submiitted some items to be investigated by credit bureaus as being incorrect. I asked that the name of the person at the creditor company they verify the information with to be included in their response to me. They wrote back ( ina form type letter)that all the information was verified. They did not include the name of the person at the creditor company they verified the information with.

How can I proceed repairing my credit?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Bogus investigation

The CRAs just report the information that is provided to them. An investigation just means that they ask the creditor to update. I don't think it is possible to get additional info like the person that is reporting since it is done through their online system. Investigation by a CRA only helps in a few cases like a creditor that just doesn't bother to update or has gone out of business.

I always suggest trying the creditor to get the problem fixed as long as they are still in business. If they don't update their records then a debt would just get verified.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you mean i should write to the creditor itself and if they don't respond in 30 days then go the crdit bureau and ask them to remove it?

Message 3 of 4
GregB
Valued Contributor

I do mean you will probably be better off talking to the creditor directly.

The CRA just collects the data reported to them. They never remove something themselves, well maybe almost never.

Since a creditor normally updates the CRAs once a month anything the CRA deleted would just come back next month. I would normally suggest disputing with the CRA only when the creditor never updates the CRA like if they were out of business. Normally go direct to the creditor.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.