cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Both EQ and TU show same fall off date for negative item, while EX shows different date.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both EQ and TU show same fall off date for negative item, while EX shows different date.

Hey everyone, this is about an old Bank of America credit card (was charged-off) that first went delinquent in 02/2009. What happened with this account is that I started paying on the account shortly after it went delinquent in 2009, and I made payments all the way until about mid 2011, which is when I stopped making payments due to financial difficulties. I resumed payments again in late 2011 for the same item. Now the strange stuff starts, both my Equifax and Transunion credit report show an "estimated" fall off date of 01/2016 for the Bank of America "baddie." However my Experian report shows a fall off date of 12/2018 for that same item. I was wondering what is going on, as this seems really strange. Does anyone know why these fall off dates are different?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Both EQ and TU show same fall off date for negative item, while EX shows different date.

It's because you started paying again for the later fall off date. It would show up as 2 different DOFD. 1 part to fall off in 2016 and than the latest in 2018. Have one like that myself as showing late than caught it up than went late again.
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Both EQ and TU show same fall off date for negative item, while EX shows different date.

Neither making payments nor terminating payments would reset the DOFD.

The DOFD is only reset when an OC account is brought back into non-delinquency status, and then a new chain of delinquency begins which leads to a charge-off or collection.  Since the post states that the payments were terminated prior to satisfaction of the delinquency, there would be no update of DOFD, and thus no change in the maximum credit report exclusion period of the charge-off.

My guess is that there is some type of later derog reported to the second CRA, resulting in the later exclusion with that CRA.

Did the creditor continue to report monthly delinquencies after reporting of the CO?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey thanks for your post, it helped me out a lot. I realized that Bank of America probably forgot to tell TU and EQ that I caught up and went late again in 2011, thus that is why TU and EQ are still showing a dofd of 02/2009 instead of the updated dofd which is mid/2016 with EX. I think this might be good that I am getting off early with TU and EQ. But at the same time, will Bank of America realize that they have not been reporting the updated dofd with TU and EQ, and try to push the fall of date back on these two reports like it did with EX, or will they likely never realize it?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.