Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounced Check

tag
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

Bounced Check

I'm in Kansas and I can't seem to find info on SOL for a bounced check. Can anyone help me? Thank You Cheryl
Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Bounced Check

Civil Actions

• The Kansas statute of limitations for a lawsuit based on a breach of a written contract is five years. A lawsuit must be filed within three years for an oral contract. A lawsuit to recover money on an open account or rent has a three-year time limit. A lawsuit claiming that a check was fraudulent has a two year maximum filing period.

Criminal

• The writing of a bad check may be a criminal offense in Kansas. The statute of limitations for a felony or misdemeanor criminal prosecution would be two years.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are you concerned about statute of limitations for criminal prosecution, or for civil action by another party?

Message 3 of 5
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

I am still trying to wrap my head around all of this. I'm just trying to find out if I can be sued or not over a bounced check, before I try for a PFD. Cheryl
Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I wouldn't worry about being sued.  In Kansas they issue warrants for a non paid bounced checks.

You may want to contact the Sheriff's Office.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.