cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Here, can you point me in the right direction?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brand New Here, can you point me in the right direction?

Hi guys,

I am just getting started trying to rebuild my credit.
The short version of my story is in December 2013, my, at the time, boss suddenly stopped paying me. Eventually, the company went under and I never saw six weeks pay.
I had to decide, do I eat and pay rent or pay credit cards? I had two cards with Capital One, I explained the situation, they were really friendly, but in the end, the accounts charged off and I was sent to Portfolio Recovery.
Since, I have blocked over 200 numbers they call from daily, relentlessly.
I am now in the position where I can start cleaning this mess up, but really don't know where to start. I have looked through this forum the past week, learned lots of useful information, but just do not know what first step to take.
Can someone help? Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Brand New Here, can you point me in the right direction?

Secured loan from a credit union or secured credit card would be your best bet
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you 2 charge-offs with Capital One?  Any others, or any other collections?  How much do you owe?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have a secured card from a credit union, got it about 4 months ago.

I just have the 2 charge-offs, nothing more. I owe between $900-$1000 each on them.
Should I try to talk to PRA? From what I have read, they are impossible to deal with.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long would it take you to come up with the funds to pay them off?  Assuming that wouldn't take too long, I'd save up then call and see if they will do a PFD.  You could aslo send a request via snail mail.  Some folks on here would probably recomment that over calling, though I'd just call.  Be prepared to pay immediately if they agree to PFD.  

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Who is currently reporting to a CRA?

Did the creditor sell the debt to the debt collector, or did they only assign collection authority to the debt collector, and they still own the debt?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.