cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit for teen and can't get my credit score up! HELP!!

tag
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

Building credit for teen and can't get my credit score up! HELP!!

Hello everyone!! 

A couple of questions that I am hoping someone can assist me with!

I have been trying to rebuild my credit for 6 years now and cannot get higher than 650. It has recently just dropped to 608 out of the blue for no reason. I just paid off majority of my debt back in February. I have about 1200 in CC debt. I have searched and searched and just don't understand why it drops when I haven't been late and why I cannot raise the score.

My second questions is HOW to build my 19 y/o credit SO he can get student loans in his name? I have recently put him as an AU on one of my CC, but how long will it take for him to build? Do I have to wait to pay off the CC unitl the CC company sends balance to credit bureaus?

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you,

Jenn

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Building credit for teen and can't get my credit score up! HELP!!

Hi Jenn,

As far as the drop in score is it possible a old TL fell off your CR's?

Get your son a secured card and start building credit the AU's will help a lot 

In 8-12 months seek an unsecured card 

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards

Pros

No HP for approval

Great APR 

no FTF

Cons 

Won't graduate 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Building credit for teen and can't get my credit score up! HELP!!

@butterflygirlinluv wrote:

Hello everyone!! 

A couple of questions that I am hoping someone can assist me with!

I have been trying to rebuild my credit for 6 years now and cannot get higher than 650. It has recently just dropped to 608 out of the blue for no reason. I just paid off majority of my debt back in February. I have about 1200 in CC debt. I have searched and searched and just don't understand why it drops when I haven't been late and why I cannot raise the score.

My second questions is HOW to build my 19 y/o credit SO he can get student loans in his name? I have recently put him as an AU on one of my CC, but how long will it take for him to build? Do I have to wait to pay off the CC unitl the CC company sends balance to credit bureaus?

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you,

Jenn

FICO rebucketing is most likely the cause. As old baddies drop off or get deleted you are put into a different group of people that have the same credit characteristics that you do. There is always a reason why someones score changes (up or down) even when the data may look the same to you and rebucketing is normally the cause.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.