Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit with Cap 1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building credit with Cap 1

I know many get Cap 1 as their first card and go through the steps program.  It was the best step I could have taken and here is why:

My starting score was EQ -598 and TU - 620 in November.  I applied with cap though.   To my surprise, they gave me the qs 1 with a $1k starting limit.  In December, I used that card for Christmas but I was paying the full balance each week.  I let a $400 balance post in December.  In January, I paid all but $50.  February, I paid off that $50.  February 15th I felt a little froggy and jumped on that request increase button.  It worked!  I went from $1k to $3k.

In the mean time,  I had 2 small medical collections and 1 derog account come off in January.  I didn't apply for any other cards.  I did do the shopping card trick with VS in November then Overstock in January.  I wanted to let just a couple cards report and not a bunch of inquiries so I patiently sat back and waited.  I am NOT a patient person lol

Today, just 3 weeks after getting that increase, I decided to check the pre-qualifiers on their site.  I knew my statement date just passed so I was curious.  I now qualify for the Venture card & QS visa!!!  Chase also shows me prequalifying for their slate and freedom cards..........in just 4 months time!!!

The point being..............hang in there with those steps program cards and be patient.  You CAN build your credit and limits in just a matter of months!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building credit with Cap 1

That's great!!!
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing that Cap One is really good about is that they WILL upgrade your accounts from Platinum to QS, to Venture, Etc.

Message 3 of 10
finallyfixingit
Regular Contributor

Congratulations!!! Capital One has been good to me as well.

7/14 Scores: EQ- 576, TU- 589, EX- 567
3/7/15 Scores: EQ- 666, TU- 680, EX- 669

last app 3/11/15
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently waiting to see what my increase will be. I started on October with cap 1.
Message 5 of 10
FIRECOURAGE
Frequent Contributor

That is great news! I just got approved for the Capitol One Platinum but I'm excited about making a few purchases and paying them off so I can eventually qualify for a QS or Venture card.

4/01/2019 | Dismissed Chapter 7 BK

2/12/2024 | Equifax: 677 | Experian: 699 | TransUnion: 725
Goal Score: 750 - Across The Board
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!!

I see this on here alot of early Step bumps, very happy for everyone it's working for!!

Me, still waiting for CapOne to step up with me and the hubby both.....if they don't do it soon, into the drawer they go as I am tired of paying so many times in one month.

Congrats to you though!!

Message 7 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Great success. I'm due for my increase in May so around then I'm going to pay my balances down to around $30 each card (I have secured, platinum classic and quicksilver with them) to see what type of increase I'll get. I'll have my furniture which reports to equifax only, so that's another positive. Just hoping for a big increase, rather than the projected $500. We will see. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 8 of 10
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations!  I just qualified for an unsecured regular cap 1 with a $300 credit limit.  I got the email in advance of receiving the card that states is I make 5 on time payments I will get an increase.  I guess this is the steps program?  I'm excited because it is my first unsecured card.   I can't wait to be where you are currently at OP!  Congrats!

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Great job, congrats Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.