Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building relationships with credit unions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building relationships with credit unions

I'm on a journey to seriously rebuild my credit. I'm currently in the mid 500''s with Equifax and TransUnion. I've got a plan to dispute all of my lates and pay down my current card utilization to get me back into the mid 600's by the end of summer 2017.

I had a spur of the moment idea to start building a relationship with a credit union so when my scores are higher I can take advantage of their cards, and mortgage rates. (I'm currently banking with Wells Fargo.) I applied for a PenFed access checking account and got denied. After the hard pull on my credit on the beginning of my rebuilding journey with nothing to show for it I was really bummed out by only being set further back. I called for reconsideration, and they got a "limited" checking account started for me and a money share account (the limited account REALLY sucks, 5 day holds on checks..Etc). I went ahead and filled out my form to order my debit card and checks, and now it's in an envelope with a stamp on it... but I still feel like crap about the whole deal.

I've been banking happily with Wells Fargo for 3 years, should I start to leverage my history with them? Installment loans, and a secured card. Or start fresh with a "currently" terrible account with PenFed?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building relationships with credit unions

Welcome to the forums!

You may not want to move your primary banking relationship to Penfed under those terms, but whatever you do DON'T CLOSE IT - Penfed will be really good to you once you get yourself up above 650 or so, so keep them in your back pocket.

Have you looked any of your local CU's?  depending on where you live, some of the local players just might be good options to get out from under WF

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome, been lurking for a while... Nice to finally contribute.

Most of our local credit unions are pretty small operations and don't have many products to offer at all. If anything most would only have the benefit of lower interest rates for auto, and mortgage. They usually have only 1 or 2 card options with no rewards.

PenFed, NFCU, and USAA seem to have the best of all worlds going for them, but I have been unable to convince my father to get an account with USAA before in the past. (He's retired Navy) so I felt PenFed was my best option at the moment with their donate to become a member option.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Most of our local credit unions are pretty small operations and don't have many products to offer at all. If anything most would only have the benefit of lower interest rates for auto, and mortgage. They usually have only 1 or 2 card options with no rewards.

PenFed, NFCU, and USAA seem to have the best of all worlds going for them, but I have been unable to convince my father to get an account with USAA before in the past. (He's retired Navy) so I felt PenFed was my best option at the moment with their donate to become a member option.

At this point in your journey, I wouldn't care in the slightest what credit products they offer - I'd look for the best checking and or savings offer.  There are several for example that give a greatly enhanced interest rate on your first $500 or so deposited.  At the very least you should be able to find a completely free account.  Anything has to be better than Wells' mandated debit transactions, or Direct Deposit, or fees

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

At this point in your journey, I wouldn't care in the slightest what credit products they offer - I'd look for the best checking and or savings offer.  There are several for example that give a greatly enhanced interest rate on your first $500 or so deposited.  At the very least you should be able to find a completely free account.  Anything has to be better than Wells' mandated debit transactions, or Direct Deposit, or fees

I totally agree with Tygerhawke. I would get out from under Wells Fargo's fees asap.  I was with Chase for years and I'm finally free of them nickel and diming me for everything. There is a great Credit Union thread that baller4life started, maybe there is a good match for you there. Here's a link. http://bit.ly/2iy8uiA

I understand that you were hoping for more from PenFed right now but you are in the door, congrats! If it were me, I would go ahead and get set up with NLSD ( Navy League San Diego) and then join Navy Federal and see what they can offer as well. I know a lot of people have had great success with Navy while they are building/re-building and I am one of them. If you join now, you can season those new credit union relationships while you are working on paying down the debt.

You have a great plan in place for getting things in order over the next few months and congrats again, a plan is more than half the battle. Keep us in the loop with your questions and progress. I know you'll be amazed at what a difference a year makes.  We're all here for you!

Smiley Happy

Chapter 7: Discharged November 2015
Total Revolving Credit Lines January 2016: $2600
Total Revolving Credit Lines January 2017: $148K
11/15 Fico 8: EQ-585, TU-550, EX- 551
01/17 Fico 8: EQ-695, TU-703, EX-673
Advantis CU Siggy Visa $25K, NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $4600> $22K, NFCU CLOC $15K, NFCU Go Rewards Visa $5,500, PenFed Promise Visa $10,500, PenFed Platinum Rewards Siggy Visa $5500, Redi+ Siggy Visa $5K, SPGVisa $4,500, Cap One Platinum $2K>$4K, Cap One Quicksilver $3K, Good Sam Visa $1800, Discover $1800>$2K>$2300, Lowes $6K>$17K, Overstock $7K>$7300>$7700, Evine $1K>$5K, HSN $3750, PenFed Thrifty $500, That's right...Credit One Visa is G-O-N-E!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to this site!

There are many "on-line" Credit Unions available, one doesn't need to be restricted to their local area..

I use Alliant CU for "checking", I have a secured card with State Department CU, and also have cards with Pen Fed, Navy, Wells Fargo, BofA & Capital One.

Also use Ally for banking & checking.

Below are three easy to access links, with LOTz of info.  While some of it may not be applicable, there is great info and situations which are totally "transferable" to other situations you may encounter down the road.

Best Wishes.

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/m-p...

Official Credit Unions Guide
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Official-Credit-Unions-Guide/td-p/4768788

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Pentagon-Federal-Credit-Union-Data-Share/m-...

Message 6 of 11
Threeof5
New Contributor

You might also check to see if your employer has any affinity for CU membership. Some CUs have affinity programs that offer memberships if you work in a certain city, county, or even industry. 

Starting 12/27/16 FICO Score 8 EQ 645 TU 643 EX 618
Current 6/27/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 797 TU 804 EX 782

Goal 740+ ACHIEVED 4/5/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 776 TU 762 EX 748
Message 7 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

You may not want to move your primary banking relationship to Penfed under those terms, but whatever you do DON'T CLOSE IT - Penfed will be really good to you once you get yourself up above 650 or so, so keep them in your back pocket.

Have you looked any of your local CU's?  depending on where you live, some of the local players just might be good options to get out from under WF

Good Luck!

+1

I was in the same boat with PenFed in April when I joined. (my scores were a little better than yours but still..)

2 weeks ago, I apped for a Promise Visa (after being declined in August), instant approved $11500, then reconned to $15000

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome @Railhouse
Don't take this the wrong way but based upon you saying things like 'on the spur of the moment'
And had trouble "convincing" Pops to join in past

Might indicate some of 'history' of rashness in the past hurting your credibility?

I say that to say this...
Perhaps one or two things may help Dad see the light
A) Bring over the actual paperwork to open the Navy and USAA accounts in FRONT of him and SHOW him he's just opening an account to simply be a reference so that you can open your OWN unrelated, no obligation to his account....
He can even CLOSE his cause once yours is open then YOU are a member and can help your children, his grandkids get a leg up 😉

B) Use the phone, have a CSR on the line help Pops 'get' that your account will NOT be attached to his financially in anyway (I suspect your credit and his generational thought patterns is where the hiccup lied)
I'm sure youve offered to front him the funds to open the accounts, right?

I'm also assuming you don't have the option of taking him into a branch.

Remember, even Mommy gets Pops to join for HER (gotta love Momma) she can refer you in as Family bada Bing bada boo

Show him some features and play up the BENEFITS he has EARNED for his family based on his service...

Discounts for insurance products, etc
Don't juice up about GETTING access to borrowing money or getting CCs

Stroke that Navy EGO of being the Biggest CU in the World FOR Navy men yada
USAA auto insurance rates, you want to access

Get Mom or Dad you just need 15 minutes

Good Luck 😎
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gemini101, I admit in the past I was a pretty spontaneous character. Now I make FAR fewer rash desions, but once in a while I'll have one pop up.

My father's excuse for not wanting to move accounts before in the past was he likes Wells Fargo. They have banked with them for 30 years... Well it was originally with Wachovia.

I had an idea though since I started this thread... Car insurance. My father has been complaining lately that everybody's rates are way too high these days, especially for his age, payment history, driving history...Etc. He has changed insurance companies several times in the past year after being a loyal state farm customer for 15+ years. Maybe some type of insurance home or auto could be an "in" for me at NFCU.

If that doesn't work I can see if I can work on him to open and close his INDIVIDUAL checking account at NFCU.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.