Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA - Calling re my adult daughter

tag
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

CA - Calling re my adult daughter

I just received a voicemail from a collection agency.  The caller stated he was calling from a collection agency (I will have to relisten to it to get the name) regarding a debt for my (adult) daughter and provided the original name of the creditor, which is a healthcare provider.  He left his phone number (855-813-3455) and requested that I have her call him back.  

My daughter does not live with me - she's away at college.  The debt may be valid.  I know that she did go to the doctor several months ago.  She would have given the doctor her cell ph# and provided mine as emergency contact.

First, I am really surprised they called and left me a voicemail and identified themselves as a debt collector attempting to collect a debt and second, I am floored that they left the name of the OC, which is a physicians group.  

I guess my question is - can they do this?  

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: CA - Calling re my adult daughter

I googled the phone number you mentioned in your post and it appears that this "collections agency" is a scam. 

Call your daughter first. Find out what is going on. I would be careful about this 'collector'. No, they can not do what they have done - leave medical collections info on a third party - even if she is your adult daughter.

Message 2 of 4
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the quick response.  I appreciate it.  

She said she has not received any calls from this company.  She also said the only medical bills (one visit - ER, er dr, and xray) that she has had in the last year were sent to me - which I paid.  Now, of course, she is freaking out ;-)  

I am glad I know about this though because she is young and a bit gullible.  She probably would have agreed to pay whoever it is whatever they wanted without knowing better :/  I am using it as a an educational situation for her and scammers and credit.

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Great idea!  So many scammers out there. I have found that the FTC website has a bunch of info on how to spot scammers before you get trapped in one of their lies.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.