Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA FTB State Tax Lien - Updated Status

tag
srchick
Regular Contributor

Re: CA FTB State Tax Lien - Updated Status

I am thinking "positive thoughts"Smiley Happy and will post the outcome when I hear back from the State. Smiley Happy

UPDATE: 5-12-15

Finally heard back from CA FTB: "They DO NOT process lien withdrawals unless there was a mistake in the initial filing of the lien by their agency". Bottomline, a paid lien (which I completed) will remain for 7 years after paid/released!  As my lien was filed in 2009, EX indicates it will be removed in Jan. 2016, yet TU says it will remain until 2019, and EQ has not given a drop date.  I will continue to show a PR on my reports although it indicates "released". Other than a little higher current utilization, my scores still continue to slowly rise, but not as much if this black mark wasn't on there.  So all you Cali residents better work real hard to NEVER have a state tax lien filed against you! IMO this State bureau is worse than the IRS! Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try the comptroller office. Refer to senate bill 228 which did not pass but if it had it would allow for paid liens to be wuthdrawn.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does it say on your Tax Lien paperwork? Does it just say Released or something else?

@srchick wrote:

Disputed with all 3 bureaus the status of my lien (paid off earlier this month and "released").  EQ: no update as of yet.  TU: Updated to "paid". EX: Updated to "paid/released".  EX sent me a complete report with the following notation: "UNPAID tax liens will remain on the personal credit report for up to 10 YEARS from the filing date.  PAID tax liens will remain for up to 7 YEARS from the filing date".

Basically, my current lien (filed in 2009) will now be deleted in Jan. 2016.  My only recourse at this point is to obtain a "Lien Withdrawal" from the State of CA which I have already requested.  I want this last baddie removed NOW! Wish me luck in getting the behemoth CA FTB to cooperate.Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 16
srchick
Regular Contributor

It reflects "Released".  (Looking forward to January 2016 for it to be dropped from EX.  No hope (at this time) for TU, and have given up on EQ for the near future. Smiley Mad

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 14 of 16
AbsentMindedProfessor
Contributor

@srchick wrote:

It reflects "Released".  (Looking forward to January 2016 for it to be dropped from EX.  No hope (at this time) for TU, and have given up on EQ for the near future. Smiley Mad

I assume you're already aware, but in the event you haven't come across it, here's an interesting legislative proposal from 2011 that would have essentially mirrored the IRS Fresh Start program in CA. It was (as we both know all too well) defeated, but it might be worth referencing in any sort of "goodwill" approach.  https://www.ftb.ca.gov/Archive/Law/legis/11_12bills/SB228_042511.pdf

Starting Score: 578 (3/11/13)
Low Score: 501 (9/28/13)
Current Score: 738 (8/7/15)
Goal Score: 720

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

To bad it didn't say Extinguished.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.