Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA First Notice with NO Validation statements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA First Notice with NO Validation statements

I received a notice from Capio Partners informed me they bought a medical debt of mine and are offering a settlement for this debt. They noted they are a CA on the letter but did not include any information about validating the debt, where to send the validation, or the statement telling me I have 30 days to validate. This is the first communication with me. Thus far, this account has not shown up on my credit reports. Shouldn't this information be included on the initial notice? Also, how should I proceed with this? It's not on my credit report now and I would prefer it stays that way but I also am not even sure I owe this money because it's for a hospital I do not recognize at all. ----Text of the letter (no text/notices on the back of letter)----- February 11, 2015 Settlement Offer The above referenced past due amount owed to Southeast Hospital has been sold to CP Medical LLC. Capio Partners has been contracted to collect the outstanding balance. We have been authorized to extend to you a special offer of settlement for $272.36. This offer will save you 40%. If you choose to accept this offer, payment must be received in the office on or before 02/25/2015. All payments and questions must be directed to Capio Partners because Southeast Hospital no longer has the ability to give you CREDIT for your payment. Sincerely Capio Partners LLC Office hours are Monday through Thursday 8AM to 7PM, Friday 8AM to 5PM and Saturday 8AM to NOON, Central Time This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose. This communication is from a debt collector. Calls to and from this company may be monitored and/or recorded for quality assurance purposes.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA First Notice with NO Validation statements

You need to ask for validation its not automatic. If you know its yours and you dont want the CA to show up on your report I would suggest you call them and arrange payment in exchange for them not reporting a DV can sometimes be viewed as confrontational. You can check out info on it and decide what to do  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Debt-Validation/m-p/7133  Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is an initial communication with the consumer regarding their collection on a debt.

It is not required to include the dunning notice provisions.  However, it triggers the requiremnt to send dunning notice within 5 days of that initial communication with the consumer.  Thus, a violation would occur should you not receive dunning notice that was sent within the five day statutory period.

Lack of timely dunning notice is a violation, which you can separately deal with by way of complaint to the CFPB, but it is secondary, and does not in and of itself triggger a specific sanction.

If the consumer is awar of their rights, lack of dunning notice can actually be a procedural benefit in that any DV would be timely until they first provide dunning notice and its statement of the 30-day period for sending a timely DV.

Any DV request you send at this point would thus be timely, and impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector.

Whether or not you wish to send a DV is another matter.

If you dont recognize the debt as legitimate, you normally would not want to pay the debt.

However, sending a DV does not impose any time period in which they must validate, so you can be in limbo for an unspecified period, during which the debt collector would be barred from conducting any payment negotiations with you.

If immediate satisfaction is your primary goal, which might be the case if you were in a mortgage app process, then you might wish to forgo a DV and move directly to a PFD or settlement offer.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Under FDCPA, "A debt collector must provide notice in writing to the debtor of the consumer’s right to request verification within 5 days after first communicating with the debtor." It does not have to be in the initial contact letter, but they DO have to inform you within five days. If they do not send another letter withion five days informing you of your right to request validation/verification then that is a technical violation of FDCPA.

http://www.sband.org/userfiles/files/pdfs/seminar_pdfs/materials/materials_kennedy_collectionpractic...

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm indecisive. I really want to keep this off of my credit report but I genuinely do not recognize the name of the OC either. Oh and it has been more than five days since they first contacted me. I know they are in violation since they are well past the five day mark now but having fought long and hard to get things off of my credit report, the last thing I want is more added! I wonder if a lot of people pay small bills like this just to avoid them going on their credit report even if they aren't sure they owe it?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm indecisive. I really want to keep this off of my credit report but I genuinely do not recognize the name of the OC either. Oh and it has been more than five days since they first contacted me. I know they are in violation since they are well past the five day mark now but having fought long and hard to get things off of my credit report, the last thing I want is more added! I wonder if a lot of people pay small bills like this just to avoid them going on their credit report even if they aren't sure they owe it?

Bingo! thats why they are called 'nuisance collections'

Message 6 of 7
supercreditgirl13
Established Member

I had a dealings with this company. My experience was pleasant as far as these things go. I requested a DV, it was sent to me in a timely fashion
I called and set up a payment plan that they were very open to. They were not rude hostile or confrontational. YMMV.
Gardening for a 750!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.