Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA Won't Give Verbal Agreement in Writing

tag
GlobalDeb
New Visitor

CA Won't Give Verbal Agreement in Writing

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes made with this post -- I promise to improve as I get acquianted. I've recently been working on building up my credit from virtually no credit plus a blunder or two (recent graduate and didn't build credit while I was in college, plus let a medical bill slip by while in college).

I had a a serious medical injury back in December and got tons of different medical bills -- all of which were paid for, except one. This little one has come back to haunt me. Yesterday I received a letter from the CA for the debt (<$500). I called and spoke with them, and they guaranteed that if I paid in 30 days it would not be reported to the CRAs (not even as "paid").

I asked a couple of times for this promise in writing, but they said that it's something they could not provide. They said are a small agency and all of their letters are pre-written by a legal company, and that they don't have one for my case.

I have the money to pay it off now, but I'm apprehensive about what to do because:

1. If I pay and then it gets reported, I won't have the option of negotiating a PFD, and I won't have any written confirmation that the CA promised they would not.

2. If I don't pay, it most definitely will be reported and then I could possibly get a PFD agreement -- but, then there's also the chance that I won't get a PFD agreement.

Any reccommendations?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: CA Won't Give Verbal Agreement in Writing

Hello and welcome. 

A lot of collection agencies will do this and not submit anything in writing because it goes against the norm. I say, pay it, take their word for it and if you find that they DO in fact report to your credit, file a claim with the BBB. It's better to catch this BEFORE it hits your reports then you have to haggle getting it off.

Good luck.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@GlobalDeb wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes made with this post -- I promise to improve as I get acquianted. I've recently been working on building up my credit from virtually no credit plus a blunder or two (recent graduate and didn't build credit while I was in college, plus let a medical bill slip by while in college).

I had a a serious medical injury back in December and got tons of different medical bills -- all of which were paid for, except one. This little one has come back to haunt me. Yesterday I received a letter from the CA for the debt (<$500). I called and spoke with them, and they guaranteed that if I paid in 30 days it would not be reported to the CRAs (not even as "paid").

I asked a couple of times for this promise in writing, but they said that it's something they could not provide. They said are a small agency and all of their letters are pre-written by a legal company, and that they don't have one for my case.

I have the money to pay it off now, but I'm apprehensive about what to do because:

1. If I pay and then it gets reported, I won't have the option of negotiating a PFD, and I won't have any written confirmation that the CA promised they would not.

2. If I don't pay, it most definitely will be reported and then I could possibly get a PFD agreement -- but, then there's also the chance that I won't get a PFD agreement.

Any reccommendations?

I'd say pay and if it does get reported, GW until they remove it.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As already suggested I would take their word for it, pay them and file BBB complaint if they dont follow through. There is a HIPAA Process for medical collections which are reporting on ones credit report, you can Googleit  we cant discuss it on this board.

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 6
RaVeN50G
Valued Member

Definitely pay it. You can always record the conversation if you have to, but I've had a few instances where I took their word for it and they did not submit it do the credit bureaus. If that helps at all.

TU: 707 (11/2014) EX: 696 (12/2014) EQ: 670 (12/2014) All Lender Pulls.
Short Term Goal: 700 Across the Board Long Term Goal: 750+
| Macy's: 1k | Barclay's Rewards: 3.3K | Quicksilver 3.8K | QuickSilverOne 1.5k | AMEX BCE 5.5K | DiscoverIT 6.1K |
USAA VISA Rewards 7K |
Last App 12/2014. In The Garden Till 12/2015... Hopefully
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.