Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA account date

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA account date

A CA never heard of has been reporting an unpaid balance and an Account Open date of 5/1/2007 for one CRA and of 5/22/2007 for another, while a third has no mention of it.

I have no idea who the CA is, nor what the amount is for or who would be a CO.

What am I supposed to do in this case? I would a DVL if I had some info about the CA, but don't have anything, just found on my CR.

thanks in advance and hope the question had not been asked before.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA account date

Do you have truecredit???...If so all the CA info is on the bottom..also some credit reports have the address on the reports...www.annualcreditreport.com...if not Goggle them..but you need to DV the CA to see what it is...
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Demed, no need to mess with or try to find the OC or CA.  The proper legal procedure mandated by law under the FCRA is to file a dispute of any contested entry in your CR directly to each CRA that is reporting what you consider to be an improper entry in their CR.  That requries them (the CRA) to investigate, back through the creditor that reported it to them,  and reach a determination within 30 days of the dispute date.  Otherwise,l they must delete.

Make sure in your letter to each CRA that you give them as much info as you have about both the report in your CR, and the reasons why it is being disputed.  I did one a year ago that simply gave as the reason
"I have never heard of this creditor, have no records showing any debt or account with this supposed creditor, and have never been contacted by this of any  collection agency regarding this alleged debt, so I have no records to show any information pertaining to this allege debt.  I request that this creditor, or his current agent at the collection agency, provide full information to me on this alleged debt within the 30 day period prescribed under the Federal Credit Reporting Act  Absent such timely response, I request immediate deletion of this information from my credit report."

It was gone from my CR in two months.

The short-circuit remedy is to contact the creditor directly, and get them to send a letter, both to you and to the CRA, acklowledging their consent to deletion of the derog.

The reason that the law puts primary responsibilty on the CRA is that, as you have said, the consumer might not have full kowledge of the original creditor, or what colllection agency it might have been charged off to.  Thus, contacting the original creditor or the collection agency may not be possible.  The Credit Bureaus are thus your legally responsible contact for initiating a dispute.

I suggest you do both, if you have the creditors or CA's address, but if not, the CRA is your legal avenue.  Simple, and it works, for it is the law. 

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-12-2008 11:53 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-13-2008 12:01 AM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-13-2008 12:06 AM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-13-2008 12:18 AM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-13-2008 12:21 AM
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

demed wrote:
A CA never heard of has been reporting an unpaid balance and an Account Open date of 5/1/2007 for one CRA and of 5/22/2007 for another, while a third has no mention of it.

I have no idea who the CA is, nor what the amount is for or who would be a CO.

What am I supposed to do in this case? I would a DVL if I had some info about the CA, but don't have anything, just found on my CR.

thanks in advance and hope the question had not been asked before.

Does it list an OC? Is the amount something you recognize? Do you have any idea what it MIGHT be?

I would DV as opposed to disputing with the CRA. If you dispute with the CRA then the CA has the right to ask you for information to support your claim. If you DV, they have to provide the documentation.

Just be aware that if it is legit and SOL is not expired, then you could "wake" them and end up receiving a summons.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 05-13-2008 05:36 AM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for the recommendations.
I do not recognize what it is, but i'm digging in past records to find where it could possibly come from. in any case, it could be at least 3-4 years old, as I've been out of the country until a short while ago.

What is most troublesome is that they report the account open date as 5/1/2008 or 5/22/2008, which is weird. Besides being out of the country at the time, being a CA entry, I understand this date should always be the start date of the Original Account the debt belongs to - am I wrong? Can they reset the clock by stating such a recent account open date?

thanks.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.