Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA contact after 12 years....

tag
ruger33
New Contributor

CA contact after 12 years....

As of a month or so ago I finally pulled my head out of the sand and started cleaning up my CR. I had a handful of C/Os and have had good success with DVs and PFDs. All thanks to the info on these forums! 

Fast forward to today, I get a call from Allied Interstate trying to collect on an car repo from 2001. The woman was mean! Is it wrong that I enjoy messing with these people? The SOL expired in 2005 and for goodness sake it's 2013! She tried to control the conversation and started with the "its gonna be on your credit" lines etc... I simply refused to talk to her over the phone about it and instructed her to send me a letter. At first she was reluctant and tried to pressure me into paying over the phone, but I wasn't having that. 

Anyhow, it's amazing what a little activity on a credit report will start/renew interest.

The OC's TL is still on my report but the bad stuff related to it has dropped off. All is shows is a closed installment loan. Do you all think I have anything to worry about with these people other than arguing and phone calls until I DV them? I've read that they are a rough JDB to deal with and thier BBB info is a fun read.

Gardening with one hand as I weed with the other...
400s LP 4/13 525 LP 6/13... Forever climbing,1st goal 600s
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: CA contact after 12 years....

If the car was repoed/CO'd in 2001 it should not be on your CR.  Is it an adverse account?  I would think after all this time it is in good standing as a positive account.

Message 2 of 6
beb86
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

If the car was repoed/CO'd in 2001 it should not be on your CR.  Is it an adverse account?  I would think after all this time it is in good standing as a positive account.

+1 these bottom feeder CAs are banking on people who dont understand there rights and SOLs

Message 3 of 6
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

I dealt with them for a cell phone bill that I never had.  Was easy as pie, sent them a DV never heard back and since they couldn't verify they sold to some other chumps.

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 4 of 6
ruger33
New Contributor

I agree. It is still on there, has the OC, type of credit and open/close dates. No derog. info whatsoever. I am/was planning on leaving it alone just to help with AAOA.

This C/A phone call just suprised me. I'm not too worried about these people as far as legally reporting anything, but I've got enough old accounts im rectifying as it is. I'm still new enough to this to enjoy dealing with a potential "sure thing" as far as telling them to pound sand, but, on the other hand, It's just another headache to deal with.  

Gardening with one hand as I weed with the other...
400s LP 4/13 525 LP 6/13... Forever climbing,1st goal 600s
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The fact that they called can actually work to your advantage.

You dont have to request they send you info in writing, their communication with you triggered their statutory requirement to do so.

After making an initial communication with a consumer, they are required to send a formal collection (dunning) notice within 5 days thereafter, advising you of the name of the creditor, the amount of the debt, and your DV rights.

If  they fail to do so, they are in violation of FDCPA 809(a).

If they call again without having sent dunning notice, just advise them they are corrently in violation of FDCPA 809(a), and you are in the process of sending a formal complaint to the FTC.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.