cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA has different amount than OC... Advantage?

tag
CaliCreditCrazy
Established Member

CA has different amount than OC... Advantage?

Hey everybody.  So I've been going at it with IC System lately over a $100 collection I'm trying to PFD, and they're just not having it.  Well after some abuse, I decided to just pay off the OC, come what may.

I called the OC and got the final amount that I needed to send off in a check and come to find that they show the acount as $100.40 due. A $.40 difference from CA.

This got me thinking.  If I pay off the OC and they are unwilling to tell the CA to pull the TL, do you suppose I can send a letter off to the CRAs showing that the PIF amount from the OC doesn't match the TL?  I would probably have to  get a letter from the OC stating that as of such-and-such a date, I have no further amounts owed.

Thoughts?

Starting scores: Around 519 (Pulled for auto loan in 2009)
Current FICO8: EQ 667 / TU 793 / EX 643
Credit Karma Vantage 3.0: TU 748 / EQ 701
Credit.com Vantage 3.0: TU 694 EX 704
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA has different amount than OC... Advantage?

I think such a letter would find its way into the circular file after inducing much amusement amongst the cubicle slaves....

Message 2 of 8
CaliCreditCrazy
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I think such a letter would find its way into the circular file after inducing much amusement amongst the cubicle slaves....

Really?  I thought that at that point, they'd take it a bit more seriously since it's technically reporting incorrect information to my credit report.  I mean.  If they can't get the amount right, how can they know it's the right account?

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It looks to be a trivial rounding difference.

If you pay the OC under their agreement that it satisfies the debt owed to them, then they must notify their debt collector that the debt has been discharged, which automaticzlly terminates the collection authority and requires the debt collector to update their collection to $0.  Payment terminates the collection of any debt, and there is nothing for the creditor to "pull."

The issue is that both update to show $0, not that they are showing slightly different amounts as the debt of the amount under collection.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its nothing more than a rounding error. Have you not noticed that report amounts are in "whole dollars" only?

Message 5 of 8
CaliCreditCrazy
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Its nothing more than a rounding error. Have you not noticed that report amounts are in "whole dollars" only?

I have another collection that was for 381.68 when I called, but only 380 on my CR.  Guess it's just wishful thinking.  Down to 3 collections left and trying for any advantage I can get.  It's like the CAs can sense my optimism and are making things more difficult. 

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Finding of inaccuracies in credit reporting does not compel deletion unless the furnisher cannot correct the established inaccuracy.

Inaccurate reporting is not per se a violation of the FCRA unless it is established that the furnsiher was aware, at the time of their reproting, that the information was knwoingly inaccurate.

Additionally, and requirment for deletion based on a dispute applies only to the disputed information.  Inaccuracy in balance amounts would not be basis for deletion of an entire collection.  The intent of the dispute process is get information corrected, not to impose a penalty of deletion of other accurate information or entire accounts.

Message 7 of 8
CaliCreditCrazy
Established Member

@RobertEG wrote:

Finding of inaccuracies in credit reporting does not compel deletion unless the furnisher cannot correct the established inaccuracy.

Wonder how that would work if I already paid the account with the OC.  Could they update the TL before marking it paid?  I just want it gone.  CA already told me that if I pay, they delete in 30 days.  Then when I pressed for why it takes 30 days, they told me they don't delete at all and started playing hardball and calling me a deadbeat.  OC says they contact the CA, tell them it's paid and pay their fee, but didn't explain if that meant they're recalling it, or just marking it PIF. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.