Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA letter in the mail

tag
Lakers
Regular Contributor

CA letter in the mail

So I updated my CRs including current address and I received a letter today from a collection agency (NCO Financial) from a Kohl's charge that a) isn't showing up on my CRs b) I haven't had since 00 c) isn't showing up as a collection on my CRs. 

What do I do from here?  They started calling me about a week ago as well. 

Do I DV them?  Nothing is showing up my CR about this debt, which I do owe. 

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: CA letter in the mail

Your past the credit reporting time, and probably past the states SOL.

The CA can still Try (key word try) to collect on this debt forever or until it's paid.

A.You can do nothing.if passed SOL

B.Offer a settlement less then the full amount, with the condition they don't come after you for the balance.

You can use the words "considered paid in full" or "debt satisfied"...something like that.

C. Or PIF 

If paying get everything in writing and keep forever, you never know when they may try to collect again.

It's always best to keep proof you paid, CA's are sneaky Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 30
mauve
Valued Contributor

I'd totally DV them.  I had 2 different collections with them, both of which went away with a DV.  And yes, that's past the CRTP, so you probably don't have to worry about them showing up on your report.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 30
Lakers
Regular Contributor

I am thinking that you are right, I mean this is over ten years old, I should just DV and they will disappear.  I have never DV'd before and I need a good example letter.

Message 4 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Lakers wrote:

I am thinking that you are right, I mean this is over ten years old, I should just DV and they will disappear.  I have never DV'd before and I need a good example letter.

Keep it simple. You don't want to sound like a lawyer. (No offense to the attorneys who post here. Smiley Happy ) Say something like:

"I pulled my credit bureau report, and I discovered that you claim I owe you a debt. Under FDCPA 809, send me validation of this debt."

"You claim I owe you a debt. In accordance with FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

"I received your letter claiming I owe you a debt. Per the FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

Or you can do a search for examples of DV letters.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 5 of 30
Lakers
Regular Contributor

The thing is, it's not showing up on any of my CRs, I just want them to stop calling me. 

Message 6 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Lakers wrote:

The thing is, it's not showing up on any of my CRs, I just want them to stop calling me. 

Once they receive the DV letter all collections efforts have to cease including phone calls.

Message 7 of 30
Lakers
Regular Contributor

Thanks Marinevietvet.  I'll just DV them and put that in the mail in the morning.  I'm assuming I should send that CMRR. 

Message 8 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Lakers wrote:

Thanks Marinevietvet.  I'll just DV them and put that in the mail in the morning.  I'm assuming I should send that CMRR. 

I would recommend that. You need to protect yourself and your paper trail as much as possible.

Message 9 of 30
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, send them a DV letter under FDCPA 809(b), and yes, send it CMRRR.  This is the one situation where you have a time limit running against you to respond, so verifiction of response is prudent.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.