Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA now refusing to deal with me because won't give out any SS information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA now refusing to deal with me because won't give out any SS information

So I called them - they of course ask me to verify the last four of my social security number which I refused to do - so they refuse to take any futher information from me. They won't update my phone number, they won't update my address - nothing. . They are telling me that they *NEED* my last four to verify who I am or they will not even talk to me or update my address. I tried to talk back and forth with him on this topic but he wasn't going to hear anyof it. So he basically says - ok then we have nothing to discuss then if I cannot verify it is you. He hung up on me when I started reciting my current mailing address. SO now what? They won't even update my information? How in the world can I even DV them if they won't dun me? Is this their way of getting out of a dunning?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: CA now refusing to deal with me because won't give out any SS information

are they on your credit report?

Message 2 of 7
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

Why don't you want to give it out?

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You, really must give them the info in order for them to provide you with any info,You request from them. It is OK to give them you SSN OR last for digits. We all must do the same in order to update or get info from all credit reporting agencies.I went through the same thing,I wasn't able to get my credit reports until I verified my ID,and my social,and my proof of current address.      

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I called them - they of course ask me to verify the last four of my social security number which I refused to do - so they refuse to take any futher information from me. They won't update my phone number, they won't update my address - nothing. . They are telling me that they *NEED* my last four to verify who I am or they will not even talk to me or update my address. I tried to talk back and forth with him on this topic but he wasn't going to hear anyof it. So he basically says - ok then we have nothing to discuss then if I cannot verify it is you. He hung up on me when I started reciting my current mailing address. SO now what? They won't even update my information? How in the world can I even DV them if they won't dun me? Is this their way of getting out of a dunning?

If they are on your CR, they have all the information they need.  I would not give them anything. 

Send them a DV, they either validate or they don't.  If they cannot, they must delete.

Message 5 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

IMHO, I would NOT give them my soc or other ID information.  

Send them a letter, CMRR.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no way I'm giving those thieves my SS#. You people can do what you like - but you're crazy IMO if you're *helping* them extract money from you illegally. They have no reason to need your SS#. Google SS#'s and how they work. The first part is where you were born by location and roughly date. The last four is you. Kind of like a phone number. The first 3 digits of a phone number (area code) are where in the country you are. The next 3 are where in that area code you are. The last 4 digits of your phone number are your house.

So theoretically everyone born in the same hospital as me the same date (month?) would have the same first 5 digit SS# as me.

So be my guest and give out your last 4 - they'll do the rest for you. It will take roughly 100 tries for them to get the correct combination.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.