Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA on debt already off report...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA on debt already off report...

Hello, So, like many others, I'm on the lovely credit repair journey. So far, I've been doing really well. I no longer have any collection accts. on my report, but today, out of the clear blue, I got a letter from a collection agency on some old debt that's already passed the 7 year SOL and state SOL. I recently disputed something on my reports and got this letter on a completely unrelated TL?? Since this debt is passed both SOL, should I send a DV letter? I'm concerned this is going to show back up on my credit reports and will have to fool around with having it deleted (as it's passed the 7 years.) 1. Is it normal to collect on a debt after it's passed all SOLs? 2. Should I send a DV letter, or just let it go? Thanks in advance, Zack
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA on debt already off report...

DV them! You never know if they attempted to re-age it or not. DVing creates a written record. And yes, it does happen from time to time that a CA attempts to collect past SOL and CRTP. Usually the ones that try are the bottom feeders and in turn are notorious about re-aging, breaking laws, etc.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

zro30 wrote:
Hello, So, like many others, I'm on the lovely credit repair journey. So far, I've been doing really well. I no longer have any collection accts. on my report, but today, out of the clear blue, I got a letter from a collection agency on some old debt that's already passed the 7 year SOL and state SOL. I recently disputed something on my reports and got this letter on a completely unrelated TL?? Since this debt is passed both SOL, should I send a DV letter? I'm concerned this is going to show back up on my credit reports and will have to fool around with having it deleted (as it's passed the 7 years.) 1. Is it normal to collect on a debt after it's passed all SOLs? 2. Should I send a DV letter, or just let it go? Thanks in advance, Zack

There will be companies trying to collect on that debt for years.

If it has been 7 years since DOFD, you can have it removed if it shows back up on your reports. Keep copies of your old reports to prove this.

Legal SOL goes from DOLA. Check this site for SOL for your state -

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help so far!!  What a quick response.

The CA is Palisades Collections.  The thing is the TL isn't on my reports.  It fell off some time ago after I did a blanket dispute.  I'm concerned they will try to put it back on, then I'll have to dispute again.

I have both old reports that have it on, and those that have it off.  I'm afraid if I DV them, it might make matters worse.  Although, it sounds like, for records sake, it may be a good idea.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look at your old CR for the OC.........this is where you should find the DOFD/DOLA

What is the debt for?     Palisades is slimbag CA

Who owns the account?    Look at your old CR   see if the OC is reporting a Bal$

What is your SOL?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

(new to forums, not sure how to quote)

HappyDays: "Look at your old CR for the OC.........this is where you should find the DOFD/DOLA
What is the debt for?     Palisades is slimbag CA"

The original creditor is Wells Fargo Bank, and the debt is for a credit card I had in college.  I can't locate a DOFD on any of the old reports, but the DOLA on an old EQ and EX report is 02/2001.

I hae an old TU report that shows the expected fall of date is 11/2007 (it was deleted a year or so before then though)

"Who owns the account?    Look at your old CR   see if the OC is reporting a Bal$"

The balances match up between the letter I received and what is showing on the old report from the OC.  It looks like this is the first CA to have the debt?

"What is your SOL?"

Depending on which state the SOL falls under (I've moved), it's either 6 or 4 years. 

How did this debt reapear out of the middle of nowhere?  Do you agree with the others and think a DV is necessary?

Thanks

Message Edited by zro30 on 07-13-2008 08:21 PM
Message 6 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I would recommend the OP not DV Palisades and ignore it all together if the following holds true:

- they are out from under their state's SOL
- or if the debt happened while living in another state, they are also out from under that SOL
- has never made any payment to reset the legal SOL

If it's not reporting and it's past SOL, I see no reason to DV. I get the same garbage in the mail a couple of times a year from JDBs, it's highly unlikely palisades would ever prevail.

P.S. sorry for the repeat post, I swear I'm not a trollSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused wrote:
I would recommend the OP not DV Palisades and ignore it all together if the following holds true:

- they are out from under their state's SOL
- or if the debt happened while living in another state, they are also out from under that SOL
- has never made any payment to reset the legal SOL

If it's not reporting and it's past SOL, I see no reason to DV. I get the same garbage in the mail a couple of times a year from JDBs, it's highly unlikely palisades would ever prevail.

P.S. sorry for the repeat post, I swear I'm not a trollSmiley Happy

I agree with fused.......just wanted to add, do not EVER get rid of those reports. This will your evidence if they should try to re-insert it onto your report.
Message 8 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

sidewinder wrote:

I agree with fused.......just wanted to add, do not EVER get rid of those reports. This will your evidence if they should try to re-insert it onto your report.

Good reminder!
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for your help!  Seems strange that this came out of nowhere.  Do you think this is more related to my recent dispute (which included an old student loan whic Wells Fargo was the OC), or because my credit is improving and they feel they might be able to get payment?

Thanks
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.