Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA promotes HIPPA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA promotes HIPPA

Made my day when hearing this.  To make a long story short, because of a complication between a work comp claim and DH's insurance, a $2,500 hospital bill was paid, money refunded, no communication, and bill not paid from 2006.  Upon receipt I disputed with CA (before knowing HIPPA)

Its been over a month and I was able to get wc carrier to send a letter to ins carrier telling them they should pay the bill, which they did.  I owe $210 of this for co-pay.

I called the hosp when I found out the CA left a message at the house.  Luckily she had good notes on the file.  I explained to her my dilema about paying and making sure this wasn't on the CR.  This hosp has a full time rep that handles just collections and works with the CA.  She called the CA and they told her what I had said was true and thats what I would need to do, unless the hosp took this back from them.   She said they mentioned a form, but I'm thinking they meant the letter process.

So it was nice to hear that this CA knew the process and would work with it.  The best part so far is that the hosp rep said she would ask her director on Monday if the hosp would take this bill back so I wouldn't have to do all of that!!!

There are some people willing to work with you so it pays to keep the faith.  I'm just hoping for the later as it would be quicker than going through the letter campaign.

The misconception with people tho is that when talking to the  hosp rep she mentioned that the collection would be marked paid and that creditors would overlook that.  And I told her it does affect the score, which affects the interest rate, but I also know from recent experience, I was declined for a loan based on "collections".

Anyway - keep the faith and no two scenarios are exactly the same, so fight for what you think is right, but triple check it here before you do it.  !!!!!  I'd put a happy face here but don't know how!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA promotes HIPPA

This makes me wonder... is it possible to just call the OC (a hospital for DH) and tell them that the CA is still reporting the paid bill and could they fix that? I mean, if they all know about HIPAA violations, and it seems like it would be a violation on their part as well...

Okay, I know that sounds idiotic. I just don't really understand why the HIPAA process is the way it is. If the OC has their money, wouldn't they be willing to tell the CA to stop reporting it due to HIPAA?

Thanks HIPAA experts.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point, which is why I called them that day, hoping not to have to do the letters, but thought what would be the harm.  I'll know more on Monday, maybe Tuesday, forgot about the holiday.  Like you said, they're getting paid.  Not to sound naive, but I'm from a rural community and there are still times that people will try to help other people.  I have a customer serivce background and I've tried to ask people the way I'd be willing to help people - calm and informative, friendly and appreciative of anything you can get.   When you get 30+ calls a day that are the same thing over and over that are irate and negative, and to get a few with special circumstances or someone that's happy to see what you can do can make a definite difference.

The other point that I had seen in the forum, which I can "understand", is that its a business relationship based on negotiated fees for them to have the CA get money they have less of a chance to get and its cheaper than hiring someone within to do it.  I was surprised they had a liaison that worked just with CA. 

Keep the faith, and it never hurts to ask, at least you're trying to make a difference.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I agree that it an make a big difference how you talk to someone. We are in Nashville, so a lot of people still say "Honey" and "Dear" even on the phone with strangers. I got McDonalds for my kids the other day and the guy at the window said, "Thanks Honey!"

So often people just call in with their complaints, being rude and belligerent; why would anyone want to help you then?

I will let you know what happens with DH's paid medical collection.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update - followed up with hospital rep and she is to get back to me Monday.  I told her CA sent updated statement and the amount went up.  She's looking into that for me as well.

I keep saying, "Patience grasshopper" - good things come to those who wait.  I haven't heard no yet.

THX!  Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

10-20 update:

Good news!!!!   Hospital called - rep talked to her director and because of the circumstances and my willingness to pay what I do actually owe later this week, they are going to pull back their collection from the CA - in the meantime the CA had sent another statement wherein they added over $100 in interest charges, which the hospital is having the CA delete as well as the entry on the CR.

I am going to send one of those letters outlining our agreement along with the check.  They have been up front with me so far so I'm going to work with them.  If all else fails, I'll have the letter copy and a copy of the check, and I'll do HIPPA.

I'll give a final update when 100% done.  Thanks for support!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Good news!!!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.