cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA reported to my reports but no calls or dunning letter???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA reported to my reports but no calls or dunning letter???

When I saw it on my reports, I went ahead and DV'd them CMRRR (they rcvd it on 11-4-09).  So far it's still on the reports and my score just took a beating but I'm sure they can't verify. 

There was a CA with the same debt a few months ago that I DV'd CMRRR and THEY couldn't DV so it was removed by the CRA's. Apparently they had a garage sale and now this new CA bought it. 

I thought they had to send a dunning letter before reporting?  Why do I have such high expectations of honesty and rule abiding from a CA?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA reported to my reports but no calls or dunning letter???

newhome4me wrote:

I thought they had to send a dunning letter before reporting?

They do have to send a dunning letter w/in 5 days of initial contact. Is it possible you had moved from the DOFD of the debt until now? Maybe they didn't have your address?

newhome4me wrote:

Why do I have such high expectations of honesty and rule abiding from a CA?

Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have but only once and all mail is being forwarded still.  Also, the new address was on my credit report before I moved.  If they're reporting, shouldn't they have the address from that? 

Well since they reported, I considered that reason enough to DV..they have the address now!  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Check your CRs....maybe they never hit you up with an inquiry to acquire your address info first. Maybe they reported just off the SSN and name.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, there's no inquiry.  I thought they received the address, if they didn't already have it, when reporting.  Like a welcome gift. 

Alright so I need to pray they don't respond to the DV!  The last CA that had it (2 months ago) couldn't so I wouldn't think that they could.  It's out of SOL  but I just want it gone.

Thank you for your help yet again!  Can't say this will be our last Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no requirement that a CA respond to a DV letter.  FDCPA 609 relates to cessation of active collection activity.

But they are required to provide you dunning notice within 5-days of initial contact, which includes posting to your CR.

But that is violation of the FDCPA, and not of the FCRA.

To require vverification within 30-days, you need to dispute it under FCRA 611(a).

Message Edited by RobertEG on 11-12-2009 10:01 PM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already sent the DV letter off but thank you for your clarification.  I did review the letter that I sent (found it on MyFICO)and it states "reporting a debt to the credit reporting agencies that cannot be validated is a violation of the FCRA..."  Is that sufficient? 

It's the same letter that I sent to the last CA that had this debt and they were unable to validate.  But, they sold it? I thought that too was illegal? 

I'm just going to have to spend some time reporting CA's for their mistakes, with chocolate and a mocha, it could be fun.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed a complaint with the BBB..I feel empowered!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.