Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA reporting an account with 7+ year DOFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA reporting an account with 7+ year DOFD

I had a Verizon Wireless account that I opened in 2000 and was written off in late 2004. I paid the account off in January 2010 through the CA, I didn't know about PFD...

I contacted Verizon and the DOFD was January 2004, which would now put the account beyond 7 years old and should be falling off my CR.

Verizon is no longer reporting the account, but Midland Cred, a CA, is reporting it as late as Fedurary 2011. I disputed the CA's entry with the CRA's but they have just said it meets fair credit reporting guidlines.

How do I get Mindland Credits entry of this old account off my CR?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA reporting an account with 7+ year DOFD

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a Verizon Wireless account that I opened in 2000 and was written off in late 2004. I paid the account off in January 2010 through the CA, I didn't know about PFD...

I contacted Verizon and the DOFD was January 2004, which would now put the account beyond 7 years old and should be falling off my CR.

Verizon is no longer reporting the account, but Midland Cred, a CA, is reporting it as late as Fedurary 2011. I disputed the CA's entry with the CRA's but they have just said it meets fair credit reporting guidlines.

How do I get Mindland Credits entry of this old account off my CR?

Collections can report for up to 7.5 years from the DoFD so this has a month or so more to run it's course. Just keep an eye on it and see it it is gone by the end of June.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CA reporting an account with 7+ year DOFD

There is no limitation on how long any party, including a debt collector, may report information to a CRA.  The limitations under FCRA 605(a) are on the CRAs for CR inclusion, and not on parties for reporting information to a CRA.

The 7 year plus 180-day limitation on collections applies to how long the CRA may continue to include them in any credit report they issue.  FCRA 605(a).

It does not restrict the reporting of information to a CRA beyond that period.

It is the obligation of the CRA to monitor the DOFD reported on the OC account, and to discontinue inclusion of any collection in a consumer's credit report once that date has passed.  If a collection continues to appear in your CR beyond the expiration period, there are two possible reasons.  First, your CR has an incorrect reporting date for the DOFD, or second, the CRA has failed to meet its obligation.

It is not necessarily the fault of the debt collector if a collection continues to appear in your CR.

First determine the DOFD that is of record in your credit file, which you can obtain by simply sending a request to the CRA under FCRA 609(a).  Then you can determine who is at fault.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.