Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA reporting debt that OC says is paid!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA reporting debt that OC says is paid!

Hi, first off thank you to everyone in here. I've been reading from this forum the last week and was able to get a few inaccuracies removed following everyone's advice. I recently pulled my report and noticed I had an account in CO to NCO financial from a power bill. I recently called OC and they told me the bill has been paid and I don't owe any balance. What should my next step be? I don't have any documents showing any payoff to the OC and I don't want the CA to report as paid in full, seeing as how their was no account supposed to be in collections. Should I DV or try to call and have someone remove it?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: CA reporting debt that OC says is paid!

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, first off thank you to everyone in here. I've been reading from this forum the last week and was able to get a few inaccuracies removed following everyone's advice. I recently pulled my report and noticed I had an account in CO to NCO financial from a power bill. I recently called OC and they told me the bill has been paid and I don't owe any balance. What should my next step be? I don't have any documents showing any payoff to the OC and I don't want the CA to report as paid in full, seeing as how their was no account supposed to be in collections. Should I DV or try to call and have someone remove it?

Is the CA showing a balance on this account??

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the CA is reporting that I have a $232 balance
Message 3 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes the CA is reporting that I have a $232 balance

Well; the CA is allowed to report the account if it ever existed, even if you paid the OC -- but it needed to show a 0 dollar balance.

I would send a DV letter, see if they repsond to the DV with anything -- often it will be removed with a DV, esp a zombiesh debt

-scott

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I spoke with OC who said they will have someone call me back about having it removed. Would it be possible to have them recall the CO? Also, if it is just changed to a $0 balance how would that effect my score? Would it hurt just as bad as if it was showing a balance?
Message 5 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you. I spoke with OC who said they will have someone call me back about having it removed. Would it be possible to have them recall the CO? Also, if it is just changed to a $0 balance how would that effect my score? Would it hurt just as bad as if it was showing a balance?

yes it would hurt just as bad. I was merely stating that if the OC sent it to this collection company before payment, and you paid it, that alone doesn't mean they have to remove it, it means they have to show an accurate balance on the account.

Let the OC do it's thing first. Recalling the debt is a loose term, and the CAs legally do not have to remove anything a OC asks them to (since the OC has no standing to THEIR reporting) but they often will to maintain their relationship with THEIR client, the OC.

See what they say with the phone call, and if it isn't what you like, send a DV

-scott

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the yuck responses! I will let you know how it goes!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

*quick response
Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Is the balance the CA is trying to collect the entire debt of the OC or does it include interest?

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is the entire debt of the OC, the CA hasn't added any interest or other charges. When I talked to OC they said they received a check April 2011. It may have been late but I don't see how it ended up in CO
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.