cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA reports to CRA before sending me a letter??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA reports to CRA before sending me a letter??

Is this legal? 

Here's the background....

A couple weeks ago, I received a credit alert for a new account showing on my CRA.  I logged in, to discover a local collection agency started reporting a $50 collection account on TU and EX.

I contacted the agency - it was for an unpaid parking ticket from 2006.  I have since paid the ticket.  The CA said it was reported in error and would be deleted.  I figured I would expedite the process by disputing. 

TU deleted the account after less than a week.  I just received notice from EX that the account came back as "verified". 

I was livid.  I emailed the CA again, this time they said to wait another week for it to come off.  I'm fine with this, but still question why they verified the account when they have already admitted it was reported in error....

Long story short - is it even LEGAL for a CA to report an acct to the CRA's without first giving notice to the debtor?  I tried researching this in the FCRA and FDCPA but didn't see much.  But still curious because to me it would seem pretty unfair to trash someone's credit without giving them the opportunity to correc the problem.  Obviously I had no idea i had this outstanding parking ticket....from 5 years ago. 

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: CA reports to CRA before sending me a letter??

Yes, it is legal.

It is also legal for them to report it after it has been paid.  Meaning it would report as a paid collection.

Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with guiness.

This entry on your report is considered an initial contact just like a phone call or letter.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I agree with guiness.

This entry on your report is considered an initial contact just like a phone call or letter.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

I was afraid that was going to be the answer! 

Seriously though, it's sortof unfair from the consumer's standpoint.  I mean, we all know the "big" debts that we owe, like CC's, car loans, mortgages, etc.  But off-the-wall things, like an unpaid parking ticket from 5 years ago, can be easily forgotten.  The address the CA had on file for me was so old that even if they tried sending a letter, it wouldn't get to me. 

Thankfully I have no concerns about it being on my EX right now since I'm not looking for new credit....but...if this would have happened three months ago when I was financing my house, I would have had a meltdown! 

I think CA's should make an HONEST attempt to contact debtors before throwing stuff on their credit reports.  Especially since credit has become such an integral part of how business is transacted these days...there needs to be more accountability.  They pull credit for insurance, utilities, directv, the list goes on! 

That being said I think there should be some checks and balances in place before companies (CA's or otherwise) can derail a consumers credit profile.  It's too bad that an unpaid parking ticket can force an otherwise creditworthy person into subprime hell.  My score dropped over 75 points.  yeesh.

OK off my soapbox for now!

Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I was afraid that was going to be the answer! 

Seriously though, it's sortof unfair from the consumer's standpoint.  I mean, we all know the "big" debts that we owe, like CC's, car loans, mortgages, etc.  But off-the-wall things, like an unpaid parking ticket from 5 years ago, can be easily forgotten.  The address the CA had on file for me was so old that even if they tried sending a letter, it wouldn't get to me. 

Thankfully I have no concerns about it being on my EX right now since I'm not looking for new credit....but...if this would have happened three months ago when I was financing my house, I would have had a meltdown! 

I think CA's should make an HONEST attempt to contact debtors before throwing stuff on their credit reports.  Especially since credit has become such an integral part of how business is transacted these days...there needs to be more accountability.  They pull credit for insurance, utilities, directv, the list goes on! 

That being said I think there should be some checks and balances in place before companies (CA's or otherwise) can derail a consumers credit profile.  It's too bad that an unpaid parking ticket can force an otherwise creditworthy person into subprime hell.  My score dropped over 75 points.  yeesh.

OK off my soapbox for now!

I couldn't agree more. I think they should be required to contact you first and see if something can be worked out before it hits your reports and tanks your scores but that's not the way it is right now.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.