Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA settlement notice on old account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA settlement notice on old account

Hello All,

I received a collection notice from FBCS offering a settlement on an old Best Buy account. The account is no longer on any of my reports as Best Buy/HSBC or Cavalry collections (the previous CA). How should I approach this? As of now this agency has not hit my reports, however I just received it a couple of days ago. TIA

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Re: CA settlement notice on old account

Hi, JA_

How old is the account?

Is it out of your state's SOL?(Statue of Limitations)

Can you afford the settlement offer?

But, the age of the account will tell the tale because it is just vague info....Is it more than 7yrs+ old?(this info matters)

So, can you provide the DoFD?(Date of First Delniquency)

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard to say, so old that it is no longer on any of my reports so I can't find this info. I can remember having this account about 10 years ago at the least. DoFD was probably around 2008/2009?? Texas SOL is 4 years I think. I can afford the settlement options.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the fine print on the back states this:

"The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt. Because of the age of your debt, our client will not sue you for it and we will not report it to any credit reporting agencies. You may renew the debt and the statute of limitations if you do any of the following: make any payment on the debt; sign a paper in which you admit that you owe the debt or in which you make a new promise to pay; sign a paper in which you give up or waive your right to stop the creditor from suing you in court to collect the debt."

However, the typical "attempt to collect a debt" and "30 days to validate" statements are also on the letter. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.