Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA sniffing around on my credit report

tag
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

CA sniffing around on my credit report

I recently received a copy of my TU credit report and noticed a few CA with soft inquiries. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit to buy a house in the next 12 months. I have raised my score from mid 500's to 612 currently. I am scared of a collection popping up out of nowhere and crippling my score. Is there anything I can do to prevent this, Thanks

Starting Score: EQ 564, TU 560
Current Score: EQ 724, TU 770, EX 789
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Re: CA sniffing around on my credit report

Get to them before they get to your reports! I was afraid of the same thing so what I did is I pulled out every file in my cabinet and shoeboxes full of old bills and sorted through them and called anyone I was unsure of whether or not they were paid and done. Only thing that may suck is you may wake a sleeping giant this way. But for me it was worth the risk. So just go through your stuff and get it all organized and you will know what you have hopefully. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It might also signify something worse... they may be checking out your current financial status with an eye at legal action.

Decisions on whether to sue are quite often based on their analysis of their liklihood of collecting, even if they prevail.  One of those rare situations where high debt and recent payment delinquencies might "help."  They cant get blood from a stone.

They are most likely getting ready to do something.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not a laughing matter however, your subject title made me giggle : )

I have seen the same thing on my husbands credit and it is scarey.  I saw one that occured almost 8 months ago and nothing has happened since then but we have been bracing ourselves.  GL!

Message 4 of 9
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

RobertEG wrote:

It might also signify something worse... they may be checking out your current financial status with an eye at legal action.

Decisions on whether to sue are quite often based on their analysis of their liklihood of collecting, even if they prevail.  One of those rare situations where high debt and recent payment delinquencies might "help."  They cant get blood from a stone.

They are most likely getting ready to do something.

I will go with what RobertEG said.

Starting: 547 +Score EX, 541 MyFico EQ,562 MyFico TU (Dec 2nd)

Current: 736 FCR "EX" (Nov. 5th), 668 MyFico "EQ" (Nov. 5th), 748 MyFico "TU" (Nov. 5th)

CC: BB&T $2,500 CL 3/2013, BarclayCard $3,000 CL 4/2013, WellsFargo $300 CL 7/2012 & Cap1 $451 CL 5/2012

Goal Score: 800's Rank
Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If you want to poke at them you could send them a CMRRR asking them for their permissible porpoise for softing your reports.   They might at least tell you what they are trying to collect.

I think your best course of action if you are trying to buy a house is to deal with it now.   Otherwise they will pop up like cockroaches when mortgage financing inquiries show on your CR.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 9
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

If you want to poke at them you could send them a CMRRR asking them for their permissible porpoise for softing your reports.   They might at least tell you what they are trying to collect.

I think your best course of action if you are trying to buy a house is to deal with it now.   Otherwise they will pop up like cockroaches when mortgage financing inquiries show on your CR.

Yep.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 7 of 9
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

The problem is I don't know of any debt that I haven't paid...I have some defaulted student loans but I'm rehabbing them currently.

Starting Score: EQ 564, TU 560
Current Score: EQ 724, TU 770, EX 789
Goal Score: 740

Message 8 of 9
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

There's a chance they could have someone else's debt.  It happens. If you don't have any bad debts you could contact them and ask. Just say you noticed the inq. and are quite sure you don't have any collections and are concerned. Could be something you forgot or an old parking ticket you were never notified of.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.