Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA wants me to call them...

tag
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

CA wants me to call them...

I unsuccessfully tried to have an inquiry removed from my CR.  I don't owe anyone money and have never heard of them so I know it's not legitimate.  I don't know if it's zombie debt coming back to haunt me (I had two removed a couple months ago) or what.  Since the dispute didn't work, I contacted the CA through their web site trying to get more information.  The CRA wanted me to contact the creditor.  I don't know who it is because I don't owe anyone anything.  Anyway, the CA emailed me a few minutes ago asking me to call them.  I don't know if I should or will.

Am I going to regret calling them?  Am I admitting something by calling them.  Should I give them my # and let them make contact.  I'm sure the heck not giving them my SS# and I have no account # or creditor for them to reference.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and get some advice.  I'll check back in after I get the kids off to school.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: CA wants me to call them...

@fuzzybean wrote:

I unsuccessfully tried to have an inquiry removed from my CR.  I don't owe anyone money and have never heard of them so I know it's not legitimate.  I don't know if it's zombie debt coming back to haunt me (I had two removed a couple months ago) or what.  Since the dispute didn't work, I contacted the CA through their web site trying to get more information.  The CRA wanted me to contact the creditor.  I don't know who it is because I don't owe anyone anything.  Anyway, the CA emailed me a few minutes ago asking me to call them.  I don't know if I should or will.

Am I going to regret calling them?  Am I admitting something by calling them.  Should I give them my # and let them make contact.  I'm sure the heck not giving them my SS# and I have no account # or creditor for them to reference.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and get some advice.  I'll check back in after I get the kids off to school.

If its a zombie debt; that would indicate a debt and you owe money --- just because it isn't in the SOL, or the CRTP does it mean it just 'goes away' -- Sure they lose a lot of leverage, but if the debt was legitmate then a collection company who owns it has permissable purpose to pull your credit report.. this is essentially the last major thing they can do to you, since they cannot sue (past SOL) nor report the debt (past CRTP) 

You said you 'don't know who it is' but the INQ should clearly state who it is... have you Googled them?

Whenever I have Inqs on my credit I am unsure of; I google them. If it is a collection company, I send them a DV because if it is not reporting, and they have not sent me a dunning notification, this will place a cease collection bar on the account... no more inqs, no more reporting, no more calls until the validate the debt.. if its an old debt, they just move on..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 5
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@fuzzybean wrote:

If its a zombie debt; that would indicate a debt and you owe money --- just because it isn't in the SOL, or the CRTP does it mean it just 'goes away' -- Sure they lose a lot of leverage, but if the debt was legitmate then a collection company who owns it has permissable purpose to pull your credit report.. this is essentially the last major thing they can do to you, since they cannot sue (past SOL) nor report the debt (past CRTP) 

You said you 'don't know who it is' but the INQ should clearly state who it is... have you Googled them?

Whenever I have Inqs on my credit I am unsure of; I google them. If it is a collection company, I send them a DV because if it is not reporting, and they have not sent me a dunning notification, this will place a cease collection bar on the account... no more inqs, no more reporting, no more calls until the validate the debt.. if its an old debt, they just move on..

-scott

These zombie debts I was referring to were from the mid-1990's and weren't even legitimate.  I have letters from both companies apologizing and they both deleted the activity on my CR. 

I know that it's a collection agency (Recovery 1), but I have no idea who the creditor is...because I don't owe anyone money.  I have never not paid my bills except for what was included in our BK back in 2007.  I have not received anything from them prior to the email this morning...and that was in response to me contacting them via their web page.

Message 3 of 5
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Also, how can I send a DV letter when I'm unsure of the creditor or an account number?

Message 4 of 5
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Some may say that just by contacting them you reset the SOL clock.

I am never one to push the envelope so I would respond to the email via email stating "that you for emailing me, if you wish to contact me here is my mailing address, please send all communications via USPS mail."  By doing so your not admitting to any debt, your not even questioning the debt as well as your making it difficult to slip up and accidentally say something that would restart the SOL.

If they don't mail you anything in the mail then just watch the reports and if pops up as anything other than an inquiry I would dispute it.

Also if it is an inquiry I would send them a letter asking them to remvoe their inquiry based on the fact that hard inquiries are for when you already have a business relationship with or are looking for new credit from said company. Since they haven't responded to any of your correspondence they clearly have no past/present/future business relationship with you and should remove the inquiry immediatly.

As always send everything CMRR.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.