Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA with no accounts of mine keeps pulling CR

tag
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

CA with no accounts of mine keeps pulling CR

In viewing my reports frequently, I've noticed a "collection agency" with whom I have NO colleciton accounts with- pulls my credit report every 3 or 4 months.  What is that all about?  I feel so violated. LOL

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA with no accounts of mine keeps pulling CR

They could be keeping tabs on your credit and waiting to report when things turn around.

You could try a non-PP letter, but I'd personally wouldn't do anything out of fear they would report.

Message 2 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Have you opted out?  if not, I highly recommend doing so asap.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree.

They are almost assuredly relying on permissible pull authority based on FCRA 604(a)(3)(A), which relates to obaining credit reports for the purpose of collection on a debt.  It is their status as one collecting on the debt that is at issue, and not whether they have reporting their collection activities to a CRA.

When a CRA receives a self-certifying statement of permissible purpose from an inquiree, they grant the request.  To show that it was an impermissible purpose will require you to establish that the purpose proffered to the CRA was inaccurate.  To get that information as basis for showing that their stated purpose was in fact an impermissibe purpose will require you to get a copy of their certification of permissible purpose submitted to the CRA.  You can use FRCA 609(a)(1) to get a copy of that documentation from the CRA,

Be ready for a long, hard fight if you plan to assert that debt collectors dont have permissible pull authorization under the FCRA, as it is their long-standing practice.

Message 4 of 9
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

That's the first thing we did way back last March- was opt out =)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

They could be keeping tabs on your credit and waiting to report when things turn around.

You could try a non-PP letter, but I'd personally wouldn't do anything out of fear they would report.

+1

Message 6 of 9
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

+1

TY.  They've been pulling for a year now- so I would rather not worry about it.  I can't think of anything it would be for, and I figure if they were going to post as a collection- what friggen difference does my current report mean-  I would think they would just slap it on there and be done with it.  How cost efficient is it really for them to keep pulling and someone or something has to analyze the data etc....  ANYWAYS. LOL

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiousity, what is the name of the CA?

Message 8 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Do you have good credit?

If so, they may be asking the CB  to give them everyone who has a credit score of 650-750....and checking to see if you have any loan apps out there, especially for a mortgage.  THEN they slap the collection on your report, knowing you have to pay it off to get the mortgage.    Most people pay it off regardless of whether it's legit cuz they have already committed to buying a house and fighting it would take some time.

My suggestion would be to opt out!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.