cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAP ONE $700 charge off/collect AND 1 year into good usage my score still sucks!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAP ONE $700 charge off/collect AND 1 year into good usage my score still sucks!!

Hi, I am looking for advice. I have one bad item on my report from capital one and it is killing my score. I am in experian special handling but im nervous to dispute it with that department because I dont want to be flagged for disputing accurate information. 

In 2014 I had an illness that left me incapacitated for 1 year. At the time I appointed a family member as my POA to pay my bills but he didnt get my cap one bill.

So they sent it to collections and last spring I got a call from a collector and offered to pay in full (was only like $700) but they said they would take $630. So I paid it. Then my score tanked because that collector reported an update basically resetting the clock on the debt. I know more now and would never pay the collector but creditor, and even if I did I would pay in full and require a letter from them stating that they would either delete early or put as paid in full. But I didnt know that at the time. 

Since then, I have opened an AMEX (6/2016) charge card, I paid off an auto loan (2/2017) that I had opened 10/2015 (bad move as it turns out, my scores tanked by 30 pts), pd down another auto loan (opened 7/2016 pd down 2/2017) to 10% of origin, and opened another credit card (1/2017) and bank credit card (5/2016) for $7k and $5k respectively in credit, and i keep my util ratio between 0 (zero hurts my score i learned) and 7% NEVER more. But still, after a year of positive credit history with these new cards and auto loans my score is almost where it started 637 experian. It was up to 669 exp but after paying off my auto loan and having 0 balance on my cards in FEB it dropped 30 pts. Since I opened all these accounts beginning Oct of 2015 my exp score has ranged from 625-669 and the other two have ranged higher. But now I'm back where I started. I realize that unless I get rid of the CAP ONE $700 charge off and the subsequent collection marked settled I cannot expect to see my score increase into the "GOOD" territory which is what I would like to see. Before 2015 I didn't really use credit and only was an auth user on parents cards which were always paid in full. After I became an adult I always made enough money to pay my bills and never needed a mortgage loan. I was very lucky, but now that I would like to get a mortgage I have tried to rebuild my credit beginning with the first auto loan mentioned above. I have tried to get a decent amount of credit to show conservative use to try to boost my score. But ive found that my score goes the opposite direction of where I think it ought to based on my behaviors! Ex. I always pay the Amex before it closes bc it doesnt report a limit so any charges on that card are part of my low total credit line of 12,000 on the other two cards. But one month I thought id let it go to statement with a bal of $20k and then go back to my normal payment system to try to establish a high credit on card since no limit is reported. I thought the high credit might act like a limit for the charge card. I thought my score would suffer for a month or two until I got back to my normal system. My score went up accross the board!!! Then last month my score reconciled 1 paid in full auto loan, 1 auto loan paid down to 10% of origin down from 60%, 3 credit cards with 0 balance. It went down 30 pts!!

So I really would like to send the goodwill letter, but before I admit to a debt in writing I want to make sure I am making the right strategic move here. Perhaps I ought to just dispute with experian special handling? Let me know what you think since I clearly have no insight into how to affect an outcome on my score.

Any advice would help a lot- thanks much

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CAP ONE $700 charge off/collect AND 1 year into good usage my score still sucks!!

What is the specific deletion that you are requesting in your good-will request?

Do you accept or contest the accuracy of the information that you are seeking to have deleted?

When considering a dispute, the furnisher always has the option of simply correcting the disputed reporting.

If the goal of a dispute is to get information deleted, that only becomes a required outcome in a dispute if the furnisher neither verfies the accuracy as reported, nor corrects so as to overcome the inaccuray.  Even if deltion is the outcome, it only pertains to the information under dispute, and does not extend to the entire account/collection, or to information that was not disputed.

Sometimes a dispute can create controversy that might remove their willingness to grant any good-will deletions.

If the info is accurate or can be readily corrected without imposing a deletion requirment, it may be more beneficial to seek good-will without a prior dispute.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAP ONE $700 charge off/collect AND 1 year into good usage my score still sucks!!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I am looking for advice. I have one bad item on my report from capital one and it is killing my score. I am in experian special handling but im nervous to dispute it with that department because I dont want to be flagged for disputing accurate information. 

In 2014 I had an illness that left me incapacitated for 1 year. At the time I appointed a family member as my POA to pay my bills but he didnt get my cap one bill.

So they sent it to collections and last spring I got a call from a collector and offered to pay in full (was only like $700) but they said they would take $630. So I paid it. Then my score tanked because that collector reported an update basically resetting the clock on the debt. I know more now and would never pay the collector but creditor, and even if I did I would pay in full and require a letter from them stating that they would either delete early or put as paid in full. But I didnt know that at the time. 

Since then, I have opened an AMEX (6/2016) charge card, I paid off an auto loan (2/2017) that I had opened 10/2015 (bad move as it turns out, my scores tanked by 30 pts), pd down another auto loan (opened 7/2016 pd down 2/2017) to 10% of origin, and opened another credit card (1/2017) and bank credit card (5/2016) for $7k and $5k respectively in credit, and i keep my util ratio between 0 (zero hurts my score i learned) and 7% NEVER more. But still, after a year of positive credit history with these new cards and auto loans my score is almost where it started 637 experian. It was up to 669 exp but after paying off my auto loan and having 0 balance on my cards in FEB it dropped 30 pts. Since I opened all these accounts beginning Oct of 2015 my exp score has ranged from 625-669 and the other two have ranged higher. But now I'm back where I started. I realize that unless I get rid of the CAP ONE $700 charge off and the subsequent collection marked settled I cannot expect to see my score increase into the "GOOD" territory which is what I would like to see. Before 2015 I didn't really use credit and only was an auth user on parents cards which were always paid in full. After I became an adult I always made enough money to pay my bills and never needed a mortgage loan. I was very lucky, but now that I would like to get a mortgage I have tried to rebuild my credit beginning with the first auto loan mentioned above. I have tried to get a decent amount of credit to show conservative use to try to boost my score. But ive found that my score goes the opposite direction of where I think it ought to based on my behaviors! Ex. I always pay the Amex before it closes bc it doesnt report a limit so any charges on that card are part of my low total credit line of 12,000 on the other two cards. But one month I thought id let it go to statement with a bal of $20k and then go back to my normal payment system to try to establish a high credit on card since no limit is reported. I thought the high credit might act like a limit for the charge card. I thought my score would suffer for a month or two until I got back to my normal system. My score went up accross the board!!! Then last month my score reconciled 1 paid in full auto loan, 1 auto loan paid down to 10% of origin down from 60%, 3 credit cards with 0 balance. It went down 30 pts!!

So I really would like to send the goodwill letter, but before I admit to a debt in writing I want to make sure I am making the right strategic move here. Perhaps I ought to just dispute with experian special handling? Let me know what you think since I clearly have no insight into how to affect an outcome on my score.

Any advice would help a lot- thanks much

Welcome to the forums.

If the debt is accurate, then it is disingenuous to dispute it.  It never hurts to attempt to GW a CC compnay.  You have all of the elements taken care of that you need for your score to start to rebound.  If it were me, I would stop applying for new credit.  Everytime you open up a new account, you decrease your AAoA.  Ideal scoring would have 1 account report a balance of less than 10% and the other accounts report zero balances. 

Why not try gardening for the next 6-12 months to allow your accounts to age and work on UTI.   The Cap 1 CO has done its damage.  Your focus should be directed towards those things that you have control over at this point in time which is UTI and on time payment history.  Time is the only thing that will help going forward. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So let me get this straight, 2 years after the card was charged off you were able to open an amex charge card? How is that possible.

I think if you give it another 18 months or so you'll be back into 700 terrority.

Message 4 of 6
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

Its a paid charge off, that is my guess why.  Charge-offs are not the end of the world in getting approved.  I had 9 charge-offs on my credit report,only 1 paid and I was approved for a car lease.  I also was given a brand new car loan with a even more lit up report then that.

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

MrTom, that is truly shocking to me. I had a bunch of CO's back in the 90s and they didn't have CRAP for me to get approved for back then even after 5 years. Now, I had judgements also from burned credit cards so maybe thats why. But it seems like today you can let everything go and then a few years later be back in the gold.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.