Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAs and Soft Pulls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAs and Soft Pulls

For the last 12 months I have been focused on getting my credit cleaned up. An area that I just started looking at is what I think are soft pulls. These are the inquiries that are said to be only seen by you and not anyone else. I have identified most of these. But I have found about 4 that are from collection agencies that are not currently reporting on my CR. Now, the last time a collection agency has done a soft pull was about 1 year ago. To also understand, all my bad debt is from 2010. I put my head in the sand in 2010. Got sober in late 2011 and last year after I was done fixing me, my career and relationships I moved on to my credit. So... I no longer want to hide from anyone I may owe. Should I call these and find out if I in fact have an account with them. Also, if I do and if I pay would they report after the fact. Yes, I know I can offer a PFD in advance. I don't want to do all this work to only have something else show up after the work. 18 months ago I had $40K in bad debt. By May I will have zero debt. If a soft pull is done, what is actually displayed? Someone will clearly see I have been paying debt. I will pay, but would rather it stay of my report. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAs and Soft Pulls

@Anonymous wrote:

For the last 12 months I have been focused on getting my credit cleaned up. An area that I just started looking at is what I think are soft pulls. These are the inquiries that are said to be only seen by you and not anyone else. I have identified most of these. But I have found about 4 that are from collection agencies that are not currently reporting on my CR. Now, the last time a collection agency has done a soft pull was about 1 year ago. To also understand, all my bad debt is from 2010. I put my head in the sand in 2010. Got sober in late 2011 and last year after I was done fixing me, my career and relationships I moved on to my credit. So... I no longer want to hide from anyone I may owe. Should I call these and find out if I in fact have an account with them. Also, if I do and if I pay would they report after the fact. Yes, I know I can offer a PFD in advance. I don't want to do all this work to only have something else show up after the work. 18 months ago I had $40K in bad debt. By May I will have zero debt. If a soft pull is done, what is actually displayed? Someone will clearly see I have been paying debt. I will pay, but would rather it stay of my report. Thoughts?

Personally if they are a year old, and have not contacted you, I would not contact them.

If you pay something that is not been reported, its highly unlikely to be reported later. Reporting costs them money....

Your credit report is displayed, just like any other pull.

Keep watching your reports for more soft pulls, and remove as many old addresses as possible - that will help prevent CA's from trying to send to a wrong address..

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would agree that if you pay, they likely will not take the time to report.

However, even if they should, the reporting would be very short-lived.

If the debt became delinquent back in 2010, it is now approx six years old, and approaching credit report exclusion, which will occur approx. 7 years from your date of first delinquency if they report a collection.  If you dont plan on applying for new credit between now and then, any reporting would be gone beofre you needed your score.

You might then get a significant settlement concession from them after credit report exclusion.

I presume that the SOL has long expired?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL is 6 years for me and I am about 5 months short of that...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.