Did you mean: 

CAs refuse to PIF/PFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAs refuse to PIF/PFD

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a lovely Easter weekend!

A couple of months ago I posted regarding some baddies I had on my account, and have made some good strides to clear them up. Of the 7 total I had when I started my journey in December, I am now down to 3 collections reporting, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

ConServe- $800, from upaid tuition at my university in 2013. I attempted to contact the OC/School, they stated I have to go through the CA. CA has stated via phone they will not accept a PIF for deletion, and ignored mailed PFD request. Searching the forums here, seems to be a common issue with them. This is slated to stay on my report until 2020, inside SOL until at least 2017.

Overton Russell Doer - Two medical collections. Not a lot of info on forums here on this CA.

• one for $142; falls off summer 2018. This is inside SOL until later this year.
  • one for $114; falls off summer 2016. This is outside SOL. This one I'm least concerned about since I can likely just request early exclusion in December of this year.

I'm not in the market for any credit in the near future. However, 2018/2020 are still 3 and 5 years out, and I honestly do believe that I will be in the market for my first house before one or both of those reporting dates expire. The factor really driving this the most is how badly I want a clean report. It's such a great feeling to have success in the first few months. I was able to get over half of the baddies removed in 2 months, financed a new car last month and managed to get 2 prime credit cards... I should be happy, right? But the plateau with the cleanup efforts is killing me. Smiley Sad

Is there *anything* I can do on these? Both of these are the original CAs from when the debt was sold by the OC. I haven't been fortunate enough for the debt to change hands and get removal by DV. The sheer fact that these companies don't even WANT my money badly enough to make a negotation is infuriating. I know I could just pay them off today and have them report zero balance, but it seems rather silly to give the CAs the $$$ and then have to try to GW the removals, when I've got the upper hand in negotations now.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAs refuse to PIF/PFD

Unfortunately, if you pay, your score will get dinged as in FICO's eyes this is fresh reporting. The medical collections are small, and I would leave them be. The closer it gets to fall off time, the more likely they will be willing to take your money. With this small amount, I doubt any collection agency would take civil action.
Your tuition on the hand... this is a biggie... The amount is enough that they may seek judgment.
Honestly, I would settle this and take the ding, at least it shows it is paid. Goodwill campaign later.
Good Luck!
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs have a policy of no deletions based on payment of a debt.

They are in business to sell credit reports, and completeness of their reports increases their value to their customers.

The CRAs include that policy in their credit reporting manual and their reporting agreements.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a lovely Easter weekend!

A couple of months ago I posted regarding some baddies I had on my account, and have made some good strides to clear them up. Of the 7 total I had when I started my journey in December, I am now down to 3 collections reporting, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

ConServe- $800, from upaid tuition at my university in 2013. I attempted to contact the OC/School, they stated I have to go through the CA. CA has stated via phone they will not accept a PIF for deletion, and ignored mailed PFD request. Searching the forums here, seems to be a common issue with them. This is slated to stay on my report until 2020, inside SOL until at least 2017.

Overton Russell Doer - Two medical collections. Not a lot of info on forums here on this CA.

• one for $142; falls off summer 2018. This is inside SOL until later this year.
  • one for $114; falls off summer 2016. This is outside SOL. This one I'm least concerned about since I can likely just request early exclusion in December of this year.

I'm not in the market for any credit in the near future. However, 2018/2020 are still 3 and 5 years out, and I honestly do believe that I will be in the market for my first house before one or both of those reporting dates expire. The factor really driving this the most is how badly I want a clean report. It's such a great feeling to have success in the first few months. I was able to get over half of the baddies removed in 2 months, financed a new car last month and managed to get 2 prime credit cards... I should be happy, right? But the plateau with the cleanup efforts is killing me. Smiley Sad

Is there *anything* I can do on these? Both of these are the original CAs from when the debt was sold by the OC. I haven't been fortunate enough for the debt to change hands and get removal by DV. The sheer fact that these companies don't even WANT my money badly enough to make a negotation is infuriating. I know I could just pay them off today and have them report zero balance, but it seems rather silly to give the CAs the $$$ and then have to try to GW the removals, when I've got the upper hand in negotations now.

I'm with ramocita - Settle the tution item, let the others expire and if you want offer them 10-20% to settle them at that point.

You've actually done quite well, as there are some of us who get literally NOWHERE with PFDs and GW requests. You've gotten over half of yours gone. You can still get decent scores well into the 700's with three derogs on there. A one or two paid derogs is certainly not going to be a mortgage killer.

What does the positive side of your credit look like?

Message 4 of 6
ruafraidofme
Established Member

becareful with the school collection. I am not certain of CA but in NJ school debt can garnish your state income tax return forever with no judgement necessary.

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Options for medical collections are:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.