cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBCS refusing to work with me, what should I do next?

tag
GeeCee

CBCS refusing to work with me, what should I do next?

My credit reports shows that I have 4 accounts: I still have a balance on one, my auto loan and have 0 balances the other 3 accounts. 2 of them are collections from utility companies, gas and electric and the other is a charge off account from a credit union. My current Fico scores are 603 TransUnion and 578 Equifax.

I wrote to the credit union last month asking if they can remove the charge off info ($295.00) if the account was paid in full. The credit union has agreed to have my account deleted from credit report asap. I am just waiting for a written confirmation so I can write the CRAs. The account belonged to my ex and I was a joint owner. After we went our separate ways she somehow ended up getting the account into collections before I could get off the account.

Credit Union Account info:

Status: Charged off as bad debt  - I paid them off March 7th 2011 per our agreement, now its 0 balance

Date Opened:  June 2002

Date of last Activity: Oct 2009

Date Closed: Dec 2009

I also spoke with a supervisor at my electricity company, they promised to have the collections info deleted from both credit bureaus...have not received written confirmation.

Elec Company Info: Paid off Mar 11th 2011

Last Activity: Sep 2010

CBCS / Gas Company

I spoke with both these company and they said they will only report that I have 0 balance but cannot have the info deleted from the credit reports...of course I only spoke with low level employees who claimed they do not have any power to "change" company rules.

CBCS / Gas Company account info: Paid Off mar 11th, 2011

Date assigned Oct 18, 2010

I have an auto loan account which has been in good standing, showing paying on time for the last 2 years on both reports. Initially owed 17k and I am now down to 5800.

I want to purchase my first home and need advise as to how to clean up my credit and bump up my credit score. So far I have heard that I should apply for a secured credit card with my bank (currently bank with Wells Fargo and BOA) but I am afraid if I am denied the my score will go down.

I came across a company called Lexington Law, they claim they can help with my situation and I would see results within 6 months. Would anyone recommend I go that route or work on my own

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: CBCS refusing to work with me, what should I do next?

I would not work with LL, just because there isn't really anything they can do that you can't for free or almost-no-cost.  Plus, when you're paying someone else monthly to do something like this, they're disincentivized to ever finish. 

When was the CU account charged off?  You have a "date opened" that looks like it's probably the date the original account was opened.  What kind of account is this?  What is the date of first delinquency? 

I'd start goodwilling every one of your paid negative items.  I'd explain the situation rationally - your ex defaulted and you hadn't removed your name yet / you paid as soon as you found out / you won't be in this situation again because you will keep tabs on accounts involving a 2nd party.  

You can find info about cards to get from both the CC forums and from a thread in the BK forum about BK friendly cards, which conveniently includes approximate qualifying scores.  whogavemecredit.com is also helpful.

The most complete reports you can get are from the CRAs themselves - if you haven't already within the last year, get them from annualcreditreport.com - that's the link for the free annual reports everyone is entitled to from each credit bureau. 

Also, go to optoutprescreen.com to stop getting credit card junk mail and to prevent junk debt buyers from subscribing to your reports.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

I'm not sure I'm even allowed to say this, but DO NOT work with Lexington Law. While DIY credit repair/improvement seems overwhelming, all it takes is a little time and patience. Start reading this board regularly and very quickly, you'll learn a ton and already be in a MUCH better position to improve your credit than anything LL can do for you and it'll be free!!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 3 of 5
GeeCee

The only information I have is what I have posted, MyFico did not have much info to go with. This was a joint checking / savings account with the credit union.

Who do I use as a contact in my Goodwill letters...dept sups / heads or going after the bank CEO / CFO and the likes

Message 4 of 5
mauve
Valued Contributor

You'll get the most info from a report directly from the CRAs.  If you haven't already, pull your reports via annualcreditreport.com - you are entitled to one free every single year from each CRA.  Make sure you save a pdf of them, or at least print them out.  Addresses will be listed on them.  You can alternate who you send GW to - try the address on your reports, and you can also do searches for addresses / names for the CEO, etc. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.